VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1998 T4 Multivan (Manual/RHD/2.5tdi), it has had a D5252 Volvo engine swap/transplant
It has done approx' 280k - but 75k on the 'new' engine.

Issue Symptoms
Started to be difficult to start after starting first turn of the key for months.
Difficult to start means, had to turn over for a few seconds before catching. This happened 3 times but it drove OK, then it cut out, took a long time to start, i kept the revs high until I got home. Left it idling on the driveway and it eventually, lost power and cut out.
It 'fluttered' a bit before stopping and using the throttle couldnt stop it.
Tried to start it again, took ages, but eventually started, left it idling and it cut out, after it had cut out I could hear bubbling coming from the tank.
Thought it might be a vacuum, so removed the fuel filler cap but exactly the same thing happened.

I have looked all over the internet, but nothing that can explain the issue.
Just got a new fuel filter today, so need to fit that to eliminate it.

Seems like a fuel delivery issue, any ideas what it could be, the bubbling after cut out seems a big clue (but only to someone that has seen it before!).

Has approx, half a tank of fuel.
I had recently topped up and added some diesel rhino too, if that could be a contributing factor.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hi,

If it were me, after your filter change, id pull the carpet back near the handbrake and check the fuel sender pipes.
They are 20yrs old now and sometimes the white plastic cracks letting air in hence your fuel starvation problem.
But I could be wrong!!

Steve

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,117 Posts
Hey Steve,
Hope you don't mind, but I keep "sending" people your way for advice on Jap vans....and the conversions. T:
Also, people wanting bits for auto-boxes...

Hope everything is going well with you,
Gaz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I have changed the fuel filter (the old one looked clean).

I have now opened the tank to check the sender and both the pipes are metal with no type of crack as shown in your picture.
Is it worth changing it anyway (but they are around £120!) or as theres no sign of cracks is it unlikely that the sender is the cause of the issue?

Thanks for any ideas!
Patrick

·
Registered
568 Posts
You could try and run the van from a can of diesel at the fuel feed pipe off the filter, if this resolves the problem then you know the air leak( if you have one) is further back in the fuel system, if it doesnt resolve it then it may be the leak off pipes on the injectors or somewhere else on that side of the fuel system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for taking the time to read and offer another solution!

I will try this and hopefully I will get some progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts