VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some gloss black perspex to laminate onto ply for my worktop, planning to glue it on then use a profiling bit in a router, just a bit concerned that it may splinter/chip or melt it, has anyone got any experience of this?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Perspex is quite soft and it might melt whenyou route it. Not sure if it will be suitable to use as a top surface to a worktop. You would be better using some Formica.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have looked at normal domestic work tops but pretty keen on gloss black and cant seem to find it in 28mm anywhere, they all seem have a pattern or fleck to them, or do you mean I can get a formica sheet that I can use as a laminte cos that sound perfect?

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can get gloss black Formica which would be better for the job. Gloss black shows up smears though and is hard to keep looking clean.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Elite Campers use gloss black formica on their worktops and tables. It looks liek they just but a 8' x 4' sheet of formica and glue it on, because it is so thin, the standard edging still fits and hides the edge. Not done it myself, but would consider if mine get damaged.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what it is but it sound like what i'm looking for! Where did you get it from, got any pics please?

·
Registered
101 Posts
if you masking tape the bits you are cutting it will reduce splintering. too high a speed will melt it. hacksaw blade works well, then drag a steel rule down the edge repeatedly to smooth out.

It's a pretty horrible material to work with and it scratches easily though

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
if you do ever router perspex, make sure it is a sharp bit and the perspex is clamped to something solid. im a signmaker and router perspex all the time, use silicone spray or white spirit to help it glide over. wear goggles tooT:
use masking tape if cutting with a jigsaw, use a not too fine metal blade, glue in masking tape acts like a lubricant and helps prevent chipping.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers mustardvan, as i've ordered the perspex reckon ill try it out, and just change it later if it scratches alot, what sort of speed would you set the router at?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks chaps i'll give it a go, hopefully there'll be enough left for a couple of sun visor extensions aswell

·
Registered
229 Posts
i cut lots of perspex, for the windows on my larger hovercraft, a jigsaw is totally **** and will crack it at the edges, i dont have a router. but found an angle grinder works lovely, run it along quick as it will melt the edge, but all you have to do it snap off the melt and you get a good cut edge.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a man after my own heart! just got some stainless cut blades in, had'nt even considered it but makes sense, could run the blade against a straight edge aswell. Thanks for the help chaps

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
'polycarbonate' (lexan, macralon) for boat screens, riot shields etc... will burr up with a fine blade on a fast jigsaw setting, its a different material than 'perspex' or 'acrylic', much softer. there are 2 types of acrylic tho - 'extruded' (cheaper) can act similar to polycarbonate when cut at a fast speed as opposed to 'cast' which is a more expensive type of 'acrylic'. this should cut fine with a jigsaw on a med/fast setting. i use for tight curves and near smooth cut, a laminate flooring blade. other than that a medium metal blade will do fine. put masking tape where you are gonna cut. never had any probs myself with a jigsaw cutting 'perspex'. have been using them for years to cut literally thousands of signs and lettering for customers. is ideal when its too big for a bandsaw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts