VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’m looking for a cycle rack for one bike ,on my Vw t5,with barn doors ,and a spoiler,and I’ve a reimo pop up ,with a solar panel on it ,the problem is the spoiler on the doors
So any ideas would be appreciated
Many thanks Roy .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think a tow bar one is the only option with the spoiler fitted unless you're feeling brave and remove the spoiler, fit the fiamma barn door carrier and adapt the spoiler to fit over the door brackets!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes unfortunately that was the option I was trying to avoid,but like everything on this van nothing easy ,so I’ll have a look at that thanks for replying.
Cheers Roy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tow bars are very easy to fit but the carriers tend to be pricey for the decent ones.. And you can't open the doors of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having done both routes (albeit without the spoiler) I now have a small trailer and the fiamma barn door rack as we've got five bikes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tow bars are very easy to fit but the carriers tend to be pricey for the decent ones.. And you can't open the doors of course.

Yes I’ve had tow bars that you can remove the ball when not in use ,and you’re right a decent carrier is pricey,it’s a minefield ,the thing is do I want the spoiler on or off .

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you fit a towbar you can get the Atera Evo or Strada, both slide away from the barn doors and allow you to open them with plenty of clearance. They aren't cheap racks but they are good quality and you should be able to sell on easily when the time comes.

I fitted a detachable towbar with bypass electrics which was pretty straightforward then bought the Atera Evo with the extra bike adapter so I can actually carry 4 bikes. The Evo has a huge adjustment range for longer bikes and fat tyres.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
My folks in Macclesfield are wanting rid of their old towball mounted Thule rack....doesn't tilt though. make them a silly offer...

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
There's a fella in Canada that makes racks for our NA Eurovans (T4 Caravelles), I wonder if you could adapt the upper mount to fit on one door? Maybe make a small slit in the awning to fit it through and put two bars on one side/door? Here's the link.

Check it out here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you fit a towbar you can get the Atera Evo or Strada, both slide away from the barn doors and allow you to open them with plenty of clearance. They aren't cheap racks but they are good quality and you should be able to sell on easily when the time comes.

I fitted a detachable towbar with bypass electrics which was pretty straightforward then bought the Atera Evo with the extra bike adapter so I can actually carry 4 bikes. The Evo has a huge adjustment range for longer bikes and fat tyres.
I’m just looking at those but like everything not cheap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts