VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi For a long time I have been into mountain bike riding , this is my present ride

I ride trails rather than down hill ( I'm not quite as young as I was and dont bounce so well when I fall off LOL: )

My Iornhourse is a great bike and a joy to ride, but I grew up in a world before mountain bikes , When you wanted to got cross country you put some knobbly tyres on a road bike and called it a Cyclocross bike .

I was reminiscing the other month witha few old buddys and it started to think about the old school cyclocross bikes so I bought an old racer and stuck on some cross country tyres on it .

And I have just been for a ride Along the same set of deer tracks that I normally run and I have come to the conclusion

A cyclocross bike is so much more fun :D

It's a lot less draining to ride ( I think not having big fat tyres helps )

I run the same tracks quicker on the cyclocross bike

I look like a numpty riding a raod bike like a loon down deer tracks ( And don't give a fuff)

I had forgot that road bike brakes are useless when wet LOL:

So now all I have to do is fit some disc brakes and change the gear ratio's a bit and lifes good T:

Any one else run cyclocross bikes or am I a lone mad man LOL:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Haha I've been riding bikes for 30 of years, road wheels are e. You'll slip in a root or get cross rutted. And kerbammo, no spoke key is going to help when your rim is folded round your frame haha

But it does look fun........

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha I've been riding bikes for 30 of years, road wheels are e. You'll slip in a root or get cross rutted. And kerbammo, no spoke key is going to help when your rim is folded round your frame haha

But it does look fun........
Better start looking for some spare back rims LOL:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Not the only one

Was having an enjoyable season till I slipped and hit a post and fractured my nuckle. Still just enough time know for a bit of a rest before the mtb starts:D

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Just got myself something similar for xmas... wife went to Halfords and offered me a £300 budget.... to be honest the full sus bikes were all rubbish... as expected... and there were not many decent mountain bikes with front suspension so i started looking at Hybrids, the more i thought about it the better they looked, after all i very rarely venture off road now days!

So for £260 i got a very acceptable spec Hybrid, and i love it!

HOWEVER Jr was not convinced and went full suspension, bikes were VERY different when i was 7!!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My commuter is a CX bike - a Genesis Vapour, but I've not tried it "offroad" yet - stuck some road wheels/tyres on for commuting.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ditched my MTB 3-4 years ago for a specialized tri-cross never looked back only thing that sucks is the brakes.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just in the process of trying to change mine from cantis, probably going to go with mini v brakes as they should work with my levers
I'm thinking of a rebuild of my wheels with discs And then a brake mount on the frame , if I can squeeze A disc in without it hiting the frame is gona be the problem

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
I'm just in the process of trying to change mine from cantis, probably going to go with mini v brakes as they should work with my levers
TBH my MTB isn't far off a cyclocross bike. Light build HT on fairly low rolling resistance tyres weighing around 22lbs. But with proper brakes!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Definitely not the only one...Genesis Vapour Disc here. Currently in commute form with slick tyres and mudguards

1 - 20 of 33 Posts