VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can work out my factory fitted Eber is designed to only help improve cold start coolant warm up.
Does any one know if it can be converted/replaced with one that will give stationary heating as well?
Thanks
Martin

G

·
YUP ITS CAN BUT..............
Tbh its not worth it as it takes so long to warm up!

Eberspacher do a kits with all the bits you require for just ove £200

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! But all that means is that I have to turn it on earlier...
Is it the Kw output that is too low to warm up quickly? Also, how long is too long?

G

·
Is it the Kw output that is too low to warm up quickly? Also, how long is too long?
A lot longer than it takes the van to warm up with the engine running
The extra heater has to heat all the water thats in the engine cooling system without the aid of the engine

I dont know how many mins it would take

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are threads on here about this, as far as I recall Banavan has it right. I have been looking into using the Kenlowe Hotstart, also thread on here if you use "search."

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 5KW hydronic and it takes around 30 mins to get the engine to operating temp when its freezing. However by fitting a vacuum valve from a volvo which I got for 50p, 2 tee pieces and a bit of pipe from the volvo I can isolate the engine and I get full heat in under 5 minutes. Eberspacher also sell some thermosatic valves to do the same thing which cost about £50 I think.

G

·
I have a 5KW hydronic and it takes around 30 mins to get the engine to operating temp when its freezing. However by fitting a vacuum valve from a volvo which I got for 50p, 2 tee pieces and a bit of pipe from the volvo I can isolate the engine and I get full heat in under 5 minutes. Eberspacher also sell some thermosatic valves to do the same thing which cost about £50 I think.
now that sound like plan!
does it use much battery power?

·
Registered
747 Posts
now that sound like plan!
does it use much battery power?
It does use on average about 6 - 7 amps including the cab fan. Handy if you just need to use for the odd couple of hours without flattening the battery to much. If I nip anywhere and I'm going to be less than an hour I normally leave mine switched on as the fuel usage is offset by having a nice warm engine when you set off.

The D2 airtronics and the like are a much better bet if you want to able run the heater for long periods as these only use about 1 to 2 amps on average.

·
Registered
T5.1 4motion 180 dsg lwb t30 highline panelvan
467 Posts
Any details or pics of these parts and what model Volvo can they be found in?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts