VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming a stock T30 van, with 17" steel wheels and std size tyres and a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers.

With the Bilsteins set at their highest setting the van will sit approximately 40mm lower than I when it did when it was on std springs.
According to all the reviews and comments the ride at this height is sporty, stiffer than std but still comfortable (and you loose the banging and crashing).
Now drop the Bilsteins to their lowest setting and the van will be approx 70mm lower than on std springs. Will the ride at this height be the same as it was when it was at its highest -40mm setting. ?

Does the additional 30mm drop come from
A. The overall reduction in height of the spring as they are squashed when you wind the collar up.
Or
B. From moving the whole lower shock body and lower suspension mounting up through spring therefore keeping the actual spring height the same but reducing the damper travel by 30mm
Or
C. None of the above?

Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
B is your answer.

The Bottom spring plate is adjustable which lowers the total height of the coilovers (the spring doesnt compress), this is how the height of the vehicle is adjusted. Of course the lower the lower spring plate the less travel in the shocker and stiff the ride will be.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The lower you go on coils the harder the ride gets, well it has on every set I've had and that's a few!
All coilovers will be harder than a spring and shocker. But some are more compliant than others. e.g. Vmaxx in my experience are no harder than KW coilovers but they bounce alot more than KWs and they dont ride so well either.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I have B14's and they are set the middle all round and the ride is great.
When I had the fronts set slightly lower I did notice a slightly harder ride, this was probably due to the slightly less damper travel and my engine being the heavier 2.5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts