VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Engine started with a bad misfire while I was away in it the other week and after checking compressions and finding very little on No.2 I've stripped it down to find the little disc / pot thing (not sure of its technical term) where the injector nozzle and heater plug sit has decided to drop out of the head.
Was running fine until this happened.
I'm guessing the marks from the valves on all pistons are from a previous snapped belt issue, would you agree ?
Just looking at my options now and was wondering if pistons etc are available anywhere other than main stealers ? Unfortunately it has marked number two cylinder slightly so it is gonna need a rebore or for me to find another bottom end as well as a head.
Any advise welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
I've just scrapped a 2.4:rolleyes:

was from a friends van and & replaced it with a 1.9tdi from a mk3 golf - more power / torque and better economy ;)

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I've just scrapped a 2.4:rolleyes:

was from a friends van and & replaced it with a 1.9tdi from a mk3 golf - more power / torque and better economy ;)

Rich.
How big a job was it to swap over, much stuff you had to change and mess with ?

Full of Cr*p....

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
How big a job was it to swap over, much stuff you had to change and mess with ?
see below (y)

^^This (well, when you read evterything you can piece-togther the usefull bits ;) )

very diy-able if you can swing spanners AND twist wires 馃い

Rich.

Registered
ive got a 2.5 with turbo alternator starter later gearbox wiring ecu
but its not free im afraid if your in sussex it may help you

Registered
Its not gonna help but that little pot that fell out is the pre combustionn chamber or pre cup. I am surprised that it dropped out as these are usually a press fit and even if loose, should be held in place by the head gasket.

The thing certainly has damaged the piston beyond repair and although cant see in the photos, I would suspect the bore too. You are also correct in the assumption that the belt has been snapped as the tell tale signs of valves meeting pistons are very prominent. I suspect that the head will also be a mess!

I would say that you are going along the right road as to binning it out and fitting another.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Its not gonna help but that little pot that fell out is the pre combustionn chamber or pre cup. I am surprised that it dropped out as these are usually a press fit and even if loose, should be held in place by the head gasket.

The thing certainly has damaged the piston beyond repair and although cant see in the photos, I would suspect the bore too. You are also correct in the assumption that the belt has been snapped as the tell tale signs of valves meeting pistons are very prominent. I suspect that the head will also be a mess!

I would say that you are going along the right road as to binning it out and fitting another.
It was kind of held in place with the head gasket your right. I think the damage would have been a whole lot worse if it hadn't been.
Unfortunately it has just caught the bore as well so bottom end needs sorting as well now. Was hoping before I stripped it that I might just get away with a head, no such luck.

Registered
The swirl pots are peened at five points to hold them in. If that head had been skimmed after the original failure then the peening may have been ground away, allowing it to plop out. Those are some seriously deep valve marks!

Hard luck on your engine dude, hope you get it fixed reasonably cheaply.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
The swirl pots are peened at five points to hold them in. If that head had been skimmed after the original failure then the peening may have been ground away, allowing it to plop out. Those are some seriously deep valve marks!

Hard luck on your engine dude, hope you get it fixed reasonably cheaply.
Thanks.
Yep when I first saw the valve marks I thought it was actually the shape of the piston not previous damage, not till I wiped them down and had a proper look I realised what it was.

Registered
hi look on Ebay there is a t4 breaker near us that will have a good 2.4 if you look at the location of the items its in Ucfield last time i went there he had at least 40 t4s and a few t5s
im sure he can help if your just wanting a bare engine as you have all other parts if not pm me ive got his number

1 - 12 of 12 Posts