VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. (T5 - T32 1.9 2007).

Please help before I kill myself. I travel everyday on the M1, in the dark, and it's becoming dangerous.

I have read a lot of the posts with regards to the wiper faults. A lot of them tend to be JUST related to the intermittent setting in relation to the bonnet switch. Well I don't think that is the fault with my system - I think it runs a little deeper.
Some people on here have had the same problems as me, but I fear they have fixed them, and not bothered to post how...

My problem:-
When it rains, I put on the wipers - they work fine.
After a while the rain slows, so I switch to intermittent. - works fine.
(sometimes it can be that I am on setting 2, and they just stop without me noticing immediately).
A few miles down the road, I notice my wipers have stopped, so I switch up from intermittent to setting 2 -nothing. no wipers, and now I am finding it hard to see where I am going, whilst doing 70 in lane 3 of the motorway with NO wipers......:eek:

I then change between setting 1, 2, 3 wiggling the stick up and down until the wipers work (takes around 40 seconds).

At this point I know I cannot touch the wipers or they will stop again. If I do switch them off, I need to time it, and park the blades at the bottom of the screen (they will not park themselves, they will stop wherever they are at the time I switch them off).

I have noticed that most of the time (not allways) IF I pull over, turn off my engine, tuen back on - they work fine againe (for a while).

Is my problem the wiper motor / motor brushes ?
Could it be a relay ?
Is there a relay, or an ECU (black box) ?

Please help if you can......... I'm desperate. T:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have little experience with t5 wipers but to me it sounds like you have a sticking relay or a dodgy connection on the stalk side of things (dirty/corroded terminals possibly).
^^^what he said ^^^

had the same thing on a vito - took the steering wheel housing off and cleaned the contacts using a piece of cloth over a precision screwdriver

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a similar problem, my intermittent wouldn't work at all. A new relay sorted it out. I can't help with the location of the relay as my mate did it but it only cost me about £5 to fix.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well - I cleaned the stalk this afternoon. (as good as possible).

On way home up M1 the wipers failed again.

Symptoms :-

Was on intermittent, but stopped working.
Tried to go up to level 2, nothing for about 40 seconds, and then off they went again, but as before, If I attempt to switch off, the blades will stop where they are, and not return to the park position.

I have also noticed that intermittent, and level 2 are now the same speed.

If I switch off for a while, the wipers will return to normal function for a while....

It's as if something warms up too much.. ?

Can someone please tell me where the relay is......

Regards

Brian.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi we have an 2007 ex rac van that has the exact same problem. I thought it was the stalk as it hasn't done it for a while after we cleaned the contacts but it faulted twice today.

Will keep watching for updates, does seem to be the relay after reading this thread up to now.

Cheers

T:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This time I tried something different. I:

I put the wipers straight into setting 2 (not using intermittent). I then travelled 60 miles to work without any problems.
Wipers worked all the way.

About 1 mile from work, I decided to drop it back down to intermittent - to see what happened. And sure enough, the wipers stopped working immediately.
I then had to wiggle the stalk for about 40 seconds until they started again (I don't think wiggling the stalk helps, it just makes me feel like I'm helping the situation LOL). I then kept the wipers on setting 2, and arrived at work.

Conclusion :-
I do not suspect the wiper motor or linkage - worked ok for 60 miles on setting 2.
I do not suspect the bonnet latch - I took a look at that yesteday, and made sure the bonnet was closed correctly.

So now it's either the stalk needs replacing/cleaning correctly.
-or-
The control box/relay is not working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas what steps to complete next ?

ANYONE :confused:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does your intermittent ever work?

I would be seriously looking at the relay/timer box for them I think. :confused:

That's just my problem - YES they do.

I could go outside now, and drive the van between 5 - 15 miles, and the wipers would work just fine. The intermittent would be just fine. But then without warning, the wipers just STOP.
At this point I am unable to start them again at any setting. I just keep changing the stick up and down from setting 2 and 3 until away they go again. But I must leave them on a continuous running set at this point - because If I go anywhere near the intermittent setting they will just stop. IF I switch them off, I now have to park them myself, because they will not return to the parked position.

-----
Now If I pulled over and turned my engine off for about 30 seconds, then the wipers would work fine again. BUT it will only be about a mile or so before they start malfunctioning again :confused: :confused: :confused:

There seems to me no pattern to this that I can follow......

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With winter on its way wouldn't a trip to a qualified auto electrician be worth a try?
It's looking that way - it's just that I like to know my van inside and out.
I like to know WHY these things are happening.

One day something might happen where I cannot ask somebody else....

(I'M ALSO AS TIGHT A MAN THAT YOU WILL EVER MEET).

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's looking that way - it's just that I like to know my van inside and out.
I like to know WHY these things are happening.

One day something might happen where I cannot ask somebody else....

(I'M ALSO AS TIGHT A MAN THAT YOU WILL EVER MEET).
P.S. I also forgot to say that I have only had the van 3 weeks, and its still under warranty.....
BUT I want to know what's causing this............

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry rant over. I:

I have warranty on the van.
But I have to take the van to a garage, and get them to diagnose it. Once they are sure what it is, and if it is repairable - then my claim can begin, and If accepted I can claim back the diagnostic money....

As we all know - labour rate at an approved VW garage is not cheap.
My warranty only covers for £50ph - I have to make up the rest out of my own pocket.

To that ends, I would like to know as much as possible what is causing the error, and how to correct it. Then when I take it to the garage, I am not going to have my raped.....

(also by the amount of emails I am getting - there are a lot of people out there with the same problem..... it would be nice to know the cause, not just have it fixed).

1 - 20 of 394 Posts