VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I need to fit a dash cam that will allow me to record all of a journey in one take. So drive for an hour and record an hour. The ones I’ve looked at all say records in 3 minute or 5 minute loop.

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
Would you not be better with something like a GoPro?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’ve tried GoPro 6 and whilst the images are great an hour long video file is massive

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if they are are segments does that mean that in an hour I get 20 short 3 minute recordings or one log recording?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Having trawled the web last night and tonight that link answered all the questions I had and it looks like we’ll have to make the GoPro work for us.

Cheers all

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Best site ive ever seen for dashcam info.

The smart ones now use segmented recording with cyclic when storage runs low, and can have features like voice or button controlled events to mark specific recording events, or can even suss it automatically.

I would probably go for something like the drivepro 220 for the front, something less featured for the rear.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought a Boblov VIOFO A119 V2 with GPS + Polarizing Lens CPL Filter DashCam. It can take around 25minutes of video so around 4.2GB. I have a 64GB micro sd card and we managed to get almost the whole journey down to Switzerland using it. You can combine the videos together to make one 1hr one.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi All, I need to fit a dash cam that will allow me to record all of a journey in one take. So drive for an hour and record an hour. The ones I’ve looked at all say records in 3 minute or 5 minute loop.

Any advice or recommendations welcome.
Why do you need it in one file, it will be massive! You'll be looking at a file several GB in size for an hour in HD.

Whilst most cameras recording in several minute chunks that's for convenience as if you had an incident you'd only want the 3 minutes that included that part. With a decent video processing application you'll be able to stitch all the "clips" together.

I've tried a few dashcams and I'm now on an Autovox Pro D9 which is excellent. It doesn't have a screen, but you can view live stream and manage settings via an app on your phone. It is also very small and you can twist the lens up and down easily to get more road and less sky.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, we set up special stages for events and need to be able to drive the stage as we’ve set it up so that we can provide evidence if it’s needed at a later date. And so we need to able to replay the image as one continuous stream.

A GoPro is good...just a bit too good.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Recording time depends on the size of the micro SD card.. 32 gb gives me about 3 hours.. if you want more, you have to go to SDXC, so make sure the camera will do that. then you can go up to 64 GB or 128 GB etc..

Any problems recording, get a free app called h2testw for your computer and test the sd card with it..

loads of fake sd cards out there, 2GB faked to look like 32GB.. etc.. I had two fakes from AMAZON, I might have expected them from EBAY... Best get SD Cards from a reputable source like 7dayshop..

Anyone with dash cam problems, test you sd card before blaming the camera.

Also. did you know that SD cards used for continuous loop recording wear out and go slow, so even a class 10 will eventually get too slow to work with the Dash Cam..

·
Registered
231 Posts
^^ as above.

As with all dash-cams be very careful what memory card you get. I first bought a Samsung Memory 64 GB EVO MicroSD card but it just didn't work full stop. Read the T&C's and not designed for constant use e.g. DashCam. What you need is a High-Endurance memory card so I bought a Lexar High-Endurance microSDHC 64GB and that has worked brilliantly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi, we set up special stages for events and need to be able to drive the stage as we’ve set it up so that we can provide evidence if it’s needed at a later date. And so we need to able to replay the image as one continuous stream.

A GoPro is good...just a bit too good.
Got the model number wrong! This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTO-VOX-P...qid=1523365187&sr=8-1&keywords=autovox+d6+pro

Having been through a few options, I'm very happy with this one for a fair price. I drive 100 miles a day on the M4 which can be horrific so the camera is a reassuring bit of protection from the numerous aggressive nutters...

You can set the length of the recording chunks and then stitch them together later. It will only loop when the card is full. A 32GB card should be good for 8-10 hrs recording I'd estimate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts