Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what paint do you guys use when painting your dash and door cards etc T:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know how many cans you use doing this as plastikote is not cheap also do you need to primer?
saves me asking cheers lol theres also loads of different types of plastikote which one do i go for i can only find it in small cans aswell like 400-500ml

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
No primer really required with plastikote as long as you degrease first....i used 3 cans to do door cards and A pillars......not done my dash.....oh you want satin not gloss as it comes out glossy anyhow

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No primer really required with plastikote as long as you degrease first....i used 3 cans to do door cards and A pillars......not done my dash.....oh you want satin not gloss as it comes out glossy anyhow

you need to use primer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, I saved the plastikote (or halfords version of it) for the vinyl parts, dash and door cards I've done with plastic primer and normal satin black rattle cans, been there for a couple of years with no problems. Best thing I found for cleaning plastic was vanish foam spray floor and carpet cleaner and a good scrub and rinse after. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I did mine in Plasikote Super Satin, 3 tins did my dash,door panels.
Cleaned with suger soap,sanded down a little to key,cleaned again and then a good clean with White spirts.
Light coats in a warm room if poss,with about an 1 hour inbetween coats.Left for a couple of days before fitting.
Take your time in the cleaning process,make sure its all dry.Like all good spray jobs get the prep work done right.
Everybody will have a slight different way,but this worked for me.
T:

·
Registered
342 Posts
what paint do you guys use when painting your dash and door cards etc T:
I spent a bit of time researching this issue & after a good while was even more confused than when I started....in the end, I simply opted for an every day DIY shop bought multi-surface spray paint. I gave the cards a good rub with fine sandpaper, then cleaned off the dust, before applying several thin layers of primer. Once satisfied fully covered, i started with the matt black spray, again, several light coats. I'm in the middle of doing the drivers' door at the moment, though the passenger door looks really well.

I found the key was to spray thin coats & lots of them to build up the finish. I used a full tin of black on the passenger side, I'm happy with the result. Paint cost £4.49 for primer & same for the colour. Whichever you choose paint-wise, invest in prep-time & take your time spraying, thin coats - dont over spray! Good luck with it - post a pic when you've done!

I'm looking at that grubby grey dash now...wondering just how long it will take me to mask everything off......:(

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Based upon my own experience, may I suggest considering FoliaTec
Has worked great for me.
I used a "clear coat" sealer upon completing the color change:)
DOne it now to several projects, all well over years of use:)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I brought my Plasikote from Wilko's at about £5.50 a tin.I agree with VWebbo spend time on cleaning and light coats,makes all the difference.
Will get a better picture up with the whole cab complete.

·
Registered
356 Posts
got an amazing finish with bumper spray ,no primer ,but when i cleaned and flatted it i used cif and a bit of water ,let the ciff soak in for a while ,it seamed to kill off the silicone spray that ive used ,when ive done my weakly clean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts