VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an electrical fault that is baffling me. When I start up my 98 caravelle 2.5 TDI there is a whirring sound near dash, the fuel counter jumps up and down (then normalises), the clock goes back to zero, as does the odometer though both then work normally until the next time the van is switched off/on. Plus the original radio has no power , nor do the illuminated vanity mirrors work.

All this happened at the same time. Other than that the van runs fine with all critical electrics ( lights, hooter etc) working ok.

Any pointers would be really appreciated. The van has had no electrical modifications made since it rolled out of the showroom. As a last resort, will a VW van centre be able to diagnose this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, did you find out what the issue was? I have a similar issue with my 1996 T4 Camper. whirr on start up and trip resets to zero, also the clock which works when I am driving stops when you remove the key.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,263 Posts
I'm sure I replied to this earlier....but maybe it was in a different section (some people do post twice if they don't get a response within 30 mins!)

Change the ignition switch as a 1st repair.....it can do strange things, as it has multiple contacts, and multiple functions.

After that, check all the earth connections on the "spider" at the side of the fuse box.

Then check the loom to the instrument cluster.....it's VERY tight, and can pull the connections from the cluster.
Mine fails EVERY year when the sun comes out...I lose the fuel gauge, and get a beep telling me I have no fuel....even when fully tanked.
15 min job, remove the cluster, yank and the loom, and plug it all back in.
Works until over winter, and until the sun comes out again!!!! (Only done it 12 times now!!!)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm sure I replied to this earlier....but maybe it was in a different section (some people do post twice if they don't get a response within 30 mins!)

Change the ignition switch as a 1st repair.....it can do strange things, as it has multiple contacts, and multiple functions.

After that, check all the earth connections on the "spider" at the side of the fuse box.

Then check the loom to the instrument cluster.....it's VERY tight, and can pull the connections from the cluster.
Mine fails EVERY year when the sun comes out...I lose the fuel gauge, and get a beep telling me I have no fuel....even when fully tanked.
15 min job, remove the cluster, yank and the loom, and plug it all back in.
Works until over winter, and until the sun comes out again!!!! (Only done it 12 times now!!!)
VAG haven't improved much on the ignition switches it seems. My son is a VAG mechanic & they still trace many faults back to the ignition switch.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,263 Posts
VAG haven't improved much on the ignition switches it seems. My son is a VAG mechanic & they still trace many faults back to the ignition switch.

'kin'ell......that's a long trace from "Yarksheer" to Germany!!!!

Yeah, 1st step is to change that cheap part (but NOT with a cheap Chinese one!!!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts