VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out here. Dash lights all went out so no dials or switches back lights working which made driving in the dark interesting as couldn't see how fast I'm going. Have changed the 15A fuse (cig lighter on this circuit as well by looks of it) and now the dash lights work . . . . . . . But they are permanently on!
Can anyone cast any light on this problem for me ('scuse the pun!)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
what has been added eg stereo lights etc sounds like some thing is cross conected ot try looking at the wires for the cig lighter as i had these split and get twsted theres a feed there for illumination disconnect it from behind the pull out part where it goes in to dash

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing added recently, but I'll check the cig lighter connection/wires. I have been running one of those mini fan heaters off the cig lighter socket for extra defrosting in the bad weather. This stopped working this morning, but I don't know if dash lights also stopped working as it was daytime & no lights on. That said, if fuse gone they wouldn't work anyway!
Thanks for ur reply, I'll update tmr hopefully with good news!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, an update on this . . . .
Managed to get the cup holder/ash tray out of the housing with a bit of buggering around. I couldn't really tell if there was a problem with lighter socket itself so thought there may be a problem further with the wiring where it could be shorting. So, pulled a load of dash & facia panels out, checked the wiring back as far as I could & it all seems fine.
I'm therefore assuming that it is a fault with the actual cig lighter socket. Now here's the thing. Couldn't get the cig lighter unit out of the cup holder unit so instead of risking breaking everything, found VW Dealer on eBay selling complete unit for £46 + postage. It arrived today, BUT . . . . the 12v socket doesn't have the feed off it for the dash backlights i.e. only red & brown wires. So, phoned up the VW dealer & they didn't really know what I was on about, OK to send it back. Then phoned my local VW Commercial dealer to try & source a replacement cig lighter on it's own. Don't do them apparently. I have to buy a whole new unit at £100.00 - yes, 100 squids!!!!
So, does anyone know of any way to get a feed to operate the dash switch back lights other than taking the one used off the cig lighter? Please!!!!!! It'll save me a fortune! Thanks ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts