VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've had a quick search on here but can't find what I'm looking for so thought I'd create a new thread (sorry if I've been blind as a bat).

So our T5's dash is looking a little tatty (ok a lot tatty, presume from it being a work van prior to being converted). I've seen the carbon vinyl sticker kits out there, but the thing is they're gloss finish and I'd prefer it to be matte. Saw a thread on here saying to buy carbon print vinyl and wrap it yourself for a fraction of the price :tu so that's what I intend on doing.

I've successfully made a template (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rkp1i0ny0v8qg8/DSC_0115.JPG?dl=0) just wondering if this vinyl is any good? Don't want to buy a bucket load to find out it's the wrong stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-CARBON...0mm-x-400mm-/251371332083?hash=item3a86e621f3

TIA :)

Sarah

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at this.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=315892&highlight=dash+retrim

There is another thread about DIY vinyl wrapping, can't find at the moment sorry.

I had mine carbon dipped.

:)
That looks awesome!!! Thanks for the link, I'll have a read through it all. We did consider hydro dipping as we were looking into getting the door cards hydro dipped, was just trying to avoid removing all the dash if at all possible.

Is there much difference between the hydro dip and vinyling?

Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
That looks awesome!!! Thanks for the link, I'll have a read through it all. We did consider hydro dipping as we were looking into getting the door cards hydro dipped, was just trying to avoid removing all the dash if at all possible.

Is there much difference between the hydro dip and vinyling?

Thanks
Sarah

There's not a big difference, the main one is the finish you want to achieve. I personally tried the sick on kit you can buy and took it off within an hour, I then bought some wrap, took the dash apart spent a day on it but still wasn't keen. Then i was introduced to Wicked Coatings and wow the look i wanted and am still very pleased after over 12 months. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's not a big difference, the main one is the finish you want to achieve. I personally tried the sick on kit you can buy and took it off within an hour, I then bought some wrap, took the dash apart spent a day on it but still wasn't keen. Then i was introduced to Wicked Coatings and wow the look i wanted and am still very pleased after over 12 months. :)
What was the reason you took it off, did it look obviously stuck on? I'm now looking into hydro dipping kits (I've dabbled in water graphics before, on my nails... I do have a bit of a girly side LOL: ) Just not sure if doing it in carbon would lead to wonky carbon lines if I attempted it :dunno:

Where are Wicked Coatings based? If you don't mind me asking what sort of price do they charge? If we got it done properly we'd probably look at getting the alloys done too :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The first kit didn't cover it all just went up to the edge. The vinyl wrap was as you said i couldn't get it all to match. When i put the switch blanks back in the carbon lines were out.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=174397&highlight=wicked+coatings

I've also got a new one over the road from my works called Bold Hydrographics. Had some painting done by him but no dipping yet. He's done his mk1 golf body parts and wheels and they look good.
www.boldhydro.co.uk :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first kit didn't cover it all just went up to the edge. The vinyl wrap was as you said i couldn't get it all to match. When i put the switch blanks back in the carbon lines were out.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=174397&highlight=wicked+coatings

I've also got a new one over the road from my works called Bold Hydrographics. Had some painting done by him but no dipping yet. He's done his mk1 golf body parts and wheels and they look good.
www.boldhydro.co.uk :)

They look smart! I might have a look if there's anywhere up north that do them, seen a place in Stockport, will see if there are any reviews!

Don't introduce the idea of wrapping a Golf, I might have to consider wrapping my Golf... the T5 is eating enough pennies as it is haha!

By the way, where did you get the chrome trim for your temp/air dials from, they look great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently did it myself on mine with some cheap 3D carbon vinyl that I bought at a show for 10 Pound for 2 meters.
I not only covered the centre console but also the hood of the van. It takes some time and patience but it's worth the effort.

Top box:

Another option is to remove the soft coat (if it has one) and spray it with Plastidip. It gives it a luxury soft toach in the color you desire and is easily removable.

I used to brighten up my wife's car, but I also used another color on my door handles.:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh thanks, time to drain the bank balance :D

I recently did it myself on mine with some cheap 3D carbon vinyl that I bought at a show for 10 Pound for 2 meters.
I not only covered the centre console but also the hood of the van. It takes some time and patience but it's worth the effort.

Top box:

Another option is to remove the soft coat (if it has one) and spray it with Plastidip. It gives it a luxury soft touch in the color you desire and is easily removable.

I used to brighten up my wife's car, but I also used another color on my door handles.:

That looks good, I have plenty of time to spend on vinyling it if needed, how would I know if it's got a soft coat on it? We've actually got some plasti dip already (we've got BIG plans for the exterior) so that's a possibility, although we do like th Carbon effect :) I love the pink you've done, don't think my other half would agree with me on that one though!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't like the pink either in my cars, but I like it for my wife's car and she loves it, so...

You know if your dash has a soft coat if it feels rubberized like plastidip does too. But I think only the Multivans and Californias have those dashes. They scratch very easily. If your dash is hard plastic then just degrease it and plastidip it, if you want of coourse.
I like the carbon too and I chose to do the carbon vinyl on the center console.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like the pink either in my cars, but I like it for my wife's car and she loves it, so...

You know if your dash has a soft coat if it feels rubberized like plastidip does too. But I think only the Multivans and Californias have those dashes. They scratch very easily. If your dash is hard plastic then just degrease it and plastidip it, if you want of coourse.
I like the carbon too and I chose to do the carbon vinyl on the center console.
I don't think ours has got the soft coat on it then, it feels like hard plastic :)

Our colour theme inside the van is black and grey so the carbon will hopefully look really smart. Ordering the vinyl today, it's only £11 so if it doesn't look right, it's not the end of the world :)

I saw on the thread posted above someone had covered their glove box in suede, I like the look of that, no idea what sort of adhesive is needed to stick material to the dash though :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts