VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a really really good friend who has been (mostly) single since her long term boyfriend emigrated to Australia 4 or 5 years ago and she chose not to go with him. She's only 32 and is outwardly confident but every time we get a bit p155ed, she ends up pouring her heart out worrying about finding a bloke. She's tried all the free dating websites with predictable results.

Her take on this is: I'm not paying for a date (Too proud).

My take on this is: Free dating websites = cheap blokes looking for a cheap shag = wasters.

Therefore: Is it worth using sites like www.plentyoffish.com or is it worth paying for a good dating website?

I fully understand her take on not paying for a dating website as it's down to pride. She's such a good mate that if I thought it would work, I'd pay for a subscription to a good site, but I know pride will get in the way & she'd knock it, so she needs to make the choice herself, albeit with a bit of discreet help.

The really mad thing is that she's an absolute babe with a good job and is the life and the soul of the party, but she's a single girl in a mostly couples group, so when we go out as a group, she's not meeting single blokes & when she goes on dating site dates she's meeting wasters.

I'd marry her myself, but my missus wouldn't be pleased I:

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hmm, I've always met my girlfriends through work... And traveling :)

When your looking for someone you won't find them, soon as your in a relationship you'll always meet someone else!

We need pictures to feed our curiosity. What are her interests?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I always think 'desperation' when I hear about dating websites. I don't blame anyone using them, but not for me. Whenever I've wanted to meet someone, I've gone out to bars etc. I know it's different for ladies. Maybe if each group member brought a singleton........

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dating websites are great.

As cruel as it sounds, you can filter out all the rubbish you don't like the look and sound of :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A few lads I know have been on them, banged a lot of crazy girls. Personally not interested in desperate, a woman is far more attractive if she's getting on with her life and having fun, not pining of the lack of a boyfriend.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Met my wife on a dating site, been married 5 years now.......:eek:

Just like anywhere, some people are only looking for one thing, others looking for different things. I was getting to the age where I was fed up with going out every weekend, chances of meeting your perfect match are very slim after 8 pints and smelling of kebabLOL:

We do pretty much everything online these days, shopping, gambling, ordering food, buying cars, booking holidays, banking......why should online dating be any different:*

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
We know two thirty something girls in a similar situation; both attractive, sporty and fun but serially single or manage to pick the most awful blokes for a very short time.
Bizarre.
As their biological clocks tick faster than ours, things do seem to get a bit desperate. We also know a couple of single Mums who just wanted a baby.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
I know loads of girls and boys who have used or met via online dating sites and plenty who ended up married. The great thing about the online dating sites, is its a real ice-breaker.
Never had to use them myself, probably because I'm constantly having to fight girls off with a stick:D. But if I was single, I would defo use one. Tell her to pay up and use a proper site. Fish4 type sites are for people who are looking for a quick bonk and most people of them are married:eek:

Yeah picture would helpI:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
The tinder App seems promising. It's a pretty good filter as you can only communicate with people that find you interesting tooT:

Problem is now that I'm 35 and fairly newly single all my mates are well into the family thing (as I was till it fell apart) so there's a distinct lack of a decent wingman:D

That and the same old places throw up the same old faces.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Perhaps they should start a dating section on the forum :D

And yes pictures would definitely help;)

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
You don't need pictures of me Andy, you know very well how handsome I amLOL:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
To be fair it sounds like she needs to hear a bit of tough love. :*

Will use a dating site, but refuses to pay for one ? If pride gets in the way then more fool her.

Match is something like 60 quid for 3 months. Hardly bank breaking and reputedly the top site in the UK.

60 quid for new experiences (as there will be some!) possibly new friends and possibly a new bloke as a result.

If not, then in 3 months you are the cost of a good night in the pub down and a lot chalked up to experience.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Perhaps she needs to rethink what she think she is paying for. Instead of 'I'm not paying to get a date' Think 'I am paying for a platform that will help me expand my social circle with people I choose because I know a bit more about them' and will weed out a lot of the pond scum that will only frequent a free site.

You could look at mysinglefriend.com if you want to help

Or the other side of the coin is that she is chomping for you mate and hopes the sob story will switch you over I:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Met the current mrs Fasty on match.com 7 years ago.I think the concept is brilliant but needs catiion,a search for man seeks woman 30/40 within 5 miles will yield 5 pages the same woman seeks man will give 50 pages.Thats whan msn was for back then,screening.I would recommend it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts