VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a glowing recommendation from the garage who told me Davanti Tyres are a good mid-range tyre and will probably be a premium brand next year. However, I have looked online and there is a mix of reviews with some also saying they are at the top of the mid-range and others saying they are dodgy Chinese imports. Does anyone have experience of them?, I was looking at the Firestone Vanhawks.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
If the reviews are mixed and you haven't heard of them, I'd avoid. I personally have never heard of them. I'd go for the Firestones which are a known mid-range. My guess would be that they make more comissions off the unknown makes due to higher margins..

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Hi Saz, i've just had a look into these as I had never heard of them. They seem to be aiming at the mid range market and their car tyres have have very good mid range testing results. However, I can't find any real testing info on their commercial or SUV ranges. Their web site looks like they are investing heavily in the european market and particularly all weather and winter tyres. Some good reviews on their facebook page but again, the car tyres. I guess it would be a gamble. They may just turn out to be cracking tyres but without many independant reviews and being a relatively new brand, it's hard to say.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You get what you pay for and with tyres there the only bit keeping you on the road I tend to stick with what I know,Yoko's and Nankang if I'm feeling poor both been fine with me

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The trouble is without being an 'insider', it would be easy to make the wrong guess. But the 'wrong' could be avoiding them when in fact they are really a great product. I have done quite a lot of tyre testing in the past, often on 'prototype products', and at up to 200mph .................. and yes thankfully I'm still alive.

For example who heard of Hankook years ago, and now they are O.E. suppliers (VW included). If no one tries them, because they are worrried; then no one will have the answer. Would be nice to see a commercial tyre being put through its paces, but remember the more well known manufacturers don't always make the best products; but usually do get to charge the premium prices ;)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
The trouble is without being an 'insider', it would be easy to make the wrong guess. But the 'wrong' could be avoiding them when in fact they are really a great product. I have done quite a lot of tyre testing in the past, often on 'prototype products', and at up to 200mph .................. and yes thankfully I'm still alive.

For example who heard of Hankook years ago, and now they are O.E. suppliers (VW included). If no one tries them, because they are worrried; then no one will have the answer. Would be nice to see a commercial tyre being put through its paces, but remember the more well known manufacturers don't always make the best products; but usually do get to charge the premium prices ;)
Very true Scruffy but when you're upside down in a field it won't be any consolation to say "at least I gave them a try" !! :D

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Very true Scruffy but when you're upside down in a field it won't be any consolation to say "at least I gave them a try" !! :D
Well I gave Hankook a try when they were relative newcomers, and really rate them.

The thing you have to remember is these products have to go through some very serious testing, and a huge level of safety endorsements before you get your hands on them.

If you do end up upside down in a field, the first thing you may need to look at is your driving LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Hi SAZ. If you type Davanti into the search box, should show my thoughts. Im still happy with them. They still look as new too. I had them fitted by guys at a Tyre bay that a good mate of mine runs. Im pretty sure he doesn't want to kill me.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
If you do end up upside down in a field, the first thing you may need to look at is your driving LOL:LOL:LOL:
But sometimes it really is the tyres! A few years ago I was convinced by Kwik Fit to try their own branded "Mid Range" tyre and they claimed they were superb. I had all 4 changed on my Mazda 6 Estate. It was fine in the dry but the minute that there was so much as moisture on the road, it became uncontrollable. It would slide at low speeds and lock up as soon as you touched the brakes. It was a death trap. Took it back to Kwik fit and they didn't want to know. I removed all 4 tyres with less than 200miles on them and went back to Dunlops.

Since then I have never purchased a tyre that I hadn't heard of or gone back to Kwik Fit! That is how dangerous bad tyres can be- Scary s**t!!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Hi SAZ. If you type Davanti into the search box, should show my thoughts. Im still happy with them. They still look as new too. I had them fitted by guys at a Tyre bay that a good mate of mine runs. Im pretty sure he doesn't want to kill me.
That's good to know. how are they in the wet? any noticeable lack of traction or jittering?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
That's good to know. how are they in the wet? any noticeable lack of traction or jittering?
Never noticed any difference with them in the wet. And it did hammer down in France. Went to the Lynn peninsula last month and didnt get a dry day. Still fine on the twisty roads.

Gaz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts