VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a -98 T4 Multivan that originally ran in Germany.
Here in Sweden you are required to use headlights (or daylight running lights) in daylight.
Is there a mod I can do to get the headlights, rear lights etc to come on, either when I switch the ignition on or start the engine?
Anyone have schematics for vans sold in the Nordic countries compared with German vans?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm sure there are other Nordic users of this forum, who might possibly be able to help?.

There are a few ways manufactures achive this:

1, Different headlight switch for Nordic countries (Volvo do this)
2, Different headlight relay or additional relay
3, Jumper in fuse box
4, Wire in different location in fuse box
5, Light control module/ECU Which can be reprogrammed by dealer (Unlikely on T4)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure there are other Nordic users of this forum, who might possibly be able to help?.

There are a few ways manufactures achive this:

1, Different headlight switch for Nordic countries (Volvo do this)
2, Different headlight relay or additional relay
3, Jumper in fuse box
4, Wire in different location in fuse box
5, Light control module/ECU Which can be reprogrammed by dealer (Unlikely on T4)
Exactly!
Can anyone provide answers to these questions/ideas?
Schematics?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Exactly!
Can anyone provide answers to these questions/ideas?
Schematics?
One way I can think is to find an online parts catalogue for VW's and check part numbers for the above items against Nordic regions, see if they are different :).

Also, it might be worth asking your local VW dealer as they may already have come across this or could have a quick look on the parts system to see what part is different?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, sounds reasonable.
I'll give it a few days (until after the seasons) and see if anyone has more info, and then get in touch with a VW rep. Could be difficult since they are often reluctant to help when the car is imported privatly :(
Cheers,
Martin

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,271 Posts
I have a "genuine" Norwegian van, and would also love to know how it works as I want to route the daytime lights to some seperate ones.

One thing I do know, is on the back of the main light switch is a link connecting some pins...but don't know if this is normal or has something to do with it.....does seem strange to make a whole switch unit and then fit external links though.

Guess you know what the weather is like in west Norway just now, but when I get chance I'll take the switch out again and try to get a pic of the contacts. (Or if you, or anyone else, can check and see it it has any links....heavy copper strips fitted over some of the pins if I remember correctly.)

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,271 Posts
BTW, the lights come ON with the ignition, but go OFF during cranking.
You can then turn the headlights OFF using the main switch set to sidelights (which I had to do to use the Eurotunnel as they wouldn't allow headlights to drive on) :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts