VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,the old mans got himself a 60plate t5,its got the "daytime running lights"which,in english,means the headlights are on as soon as ignition is switched on!he followed me back from collecting it monday,theyre a bloody nuisance!
im going round later to see if manual states anything about being able to turn them off?
anyone else done this?as i know...before the months out,he"ll have a flat battery somewhereI:
cheers!T:

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
They can be turned on/off by the ecu thingy. My mate bought a new van and he wanted his turned on so took it to the main dealer, they plugged it in and hey presto sorted.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
headlights are there for a reason....to see and be seen at night...in the dark:*
the lights on his t5 are really bright,in daylight,there pretty dazzling......could also be seen by some as aggresive.....you know the type"ooh,the big nasty van is tryin to intimidate me"I:
ps,this does happen,my company had a complaint from a member of joe public,saying the driver was flashing his lights at them down a country road in an aggressive manner?
it was simply the vehicle,with day running lights,bouncing along down a badly surfaced road:*
also,as a motorcyclist,i feel that bikes will be less noticed if all cars/vans have headlights permanently on too.
ta for the info on main dealers...he"ll be calling in i imagineT:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine are not as bright as headlights more like sidelights and i have had no complaints so far

Am i correct in thinking they are to become law on all new vehicles? If so they might be here to stay
You think right, all new cars produced from 2011 onwards will have DRL's

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I believe that was going to be the way but the EU have changed their mind and they will remain an optional extra and not compulsive for now

·
Registered
119 Posts
I,ve just picked up my new golf and the lights can be turned off by yourself. I'm sure there is something in the manual that came with the car. I will assume that it's the same as the van. Most of the switch gear is not a lot different than my sportline.
Jason

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
On other VW's they can be turned of using VAG.com. They can also be turned down in brightness. I have both my Passat and Touran set to 75%. They come on and off with the handbrake - because I don't want to sart the car with the lights on;-)

When I et the T5 on friday I'll set them on there too if possible. Having lived in Italy for a couple of years, I belive they are a real safety feature.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
It's how I know there's a gp coming over the hill lol

They can be turned off but I am on the understanding that it's another eu law that will be passed, we forgive the volvos eh

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe that was going to be the way but the EU have changed their mind and they will remain an optional extra and not compulsive for now
Afaik,the VAG is being pre-emptive. The EU legislation should change by 2012-2014,so that you are mandatory to have "dim lights" in front and NO tail lights!!!
The reason the local importer/dealer was that it "saves in the fuel consumption"...

I was ing floored.

What you save in fuel consumption with inactive tail lights vs what the society WILL loose in the loss of life (imagine dusk,bad weather,human physiology in general being less adapted to comprehend the movement of lightless objects..)...
Imagine the loss of money for the society,the raising insurance costs,the extra stress/lost revenue of driving in such a ty enviroment.

FAIL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seriously: Where the is the EDIT button on this forum? Like,srlsy?

Mods,what is the reason you cant edit your own posts? Thats retarded!
I type like a wirbeldwind and I would be stoked to be able to fine tune my awesome prosa afterwards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it's a waste of energy, and that comes from fuel so ultimately a waste of fuel. we've been told for years to turn our lights off in the office and home when we're not using them, how is it different on a vehicle? OK so it might only be a tiny tiny amount of fuel 'per vehicle' but even still, across a million cars it will add up.

Nox

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seriously: Where the is the EDIT button on this forum? Like,srlsy?

Mods,what is the reason you cant edit your own posts? Thats retarded!
I type like a wirbeldwind and I would be stoked to be able to fine tune my awesome prosa afterwards.

pay ya tenner subscription....n edit to ya hearts content!Rasp:

anyhoo,these daytime pesky running lights?anyone had em turned off yet?old mans booking van into vw for poor radio reception,so can do 2 jobs at once if poss?
ps.my t4 has a fantastic radio...but dim lights...but im fixing that with a headlight upgradeRasp::DA:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They are not LED on the transporters, they are regular halogen bulbs. Also the aren't headlights either. They are a lot dimmer.
Try turning your headlights on and off in the dark, big difference.

I Loike em.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The DLR`s are just the side lights on the new Transporters, arnt they?

Makes me laugh, you want to turn yours off, but everyone else is sticking bits off the chrismas trees on theres so they can have DRL`s.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts