VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Surely that just reinforces the point that lights don't make the slightest bit of difference? If it doesn't, you're suggesting the only way to be safe is to strap a lighthouse to your bonnet...

LED running lights are a vanity item which is fine if you like that kind of thing, but please just admit that you think they make you look cool and stop with the pseudo-safety talk. Even the DoT admit that they can't provide evidence that there'll be a great decrease in accidents, or any decrease at all in accident severity.

It's just a Halfords/LED manufacturer brown envelope job...
I agree that I like the look of them - and individuality is often what this forum is about - but I'm really fed up with other drivers "not seeing me" -

However - I was warned by a friend about this forum - and I now seem to be sampling it

I thought this would be about help and advice on here - I'm sure nothing else is needed

Name and shame is banned on here - maybe unecessary slagging should be too - I believed this was a group of people with a similar interest

I hope one of you moderators a clocked this thread - terrible!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe they were introduced in Sweeden and reduced pedestrian accidents by up to 30%, Especialy in poor conditions. A lot of continental made cars have them fitted but dissabled by haveing the fuse removed. It's a bit like the 'Baby on Board' stickers, introduced in the USA so in an accident the emergency services would know to look out for kids. The reasons often get forgoten over time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Should have said - I want some bigger rear indicators so that drives behind me can see I am about to pull out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
it's a shame you feel like this manfred but I can see where your coming from, as you do sometimes get some peeps that give you their opinion rather than advice and knowledge. I have been a member for a few months and I have found it a helpful, friendly forum only spoilt by a small few.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
it's a shame you feel like this manfred but I can see where your coming from, as you do sometimes get some peeps that give you their opinion rather than advice and knowledge. I have been a member for a few months and I have found it a helpful, friendly forum only spoilt by a small few.
Cheers mate, I only wanted to show you what the lights looked like - never expected that

I've had some PMs showing support from other forum members - very grateful

When I bought these lights - never thought they would cause such a fuss

Spend a week where I now live and you may consider a lighthouse on the bonnet and massive indicators - defensive driving is required all the time

·
Registered
249 Posts
I apologise to gingerbobafet for taking this topic off subject originally but Manfred...this forum is one of the tamest I've ever been a member of. Don't ever consider an MX-5 or a Smart Roadster or a VW T2 will you, because on their forums you'd get upset within the first 5 minutes.

"Name and shame is banned on here - maybe unecessary slagging should be too - I believed this was a group of people with a similar interest

I hope one of you moderators a clocked this thread - terrible!"

Unnecessary slagging? Of whom? I don't think anyone has said anything horrible to or about anyone or their vans. They've been critical of the safety/aesthetic claims of LED lights but 'similar interest' surely doesn't mean 'never disagree'. For the record, I think the lights on your van are quite tastefully done - I just don't see the point of them...

"Spend a week where I now live and you may consider a lighthouse on the bonnet and massive indicators - defensive driving is required all the time"

Salisbury is hardly a different planet to the rest of the country is it? It's not like you live in the Bronx. There are bad drivers everywhere these days and the amount of idiots (of all ages) in Essex astonish me. I know that people pull out in front of others, especially vans - persumably because they don't want to get stuck behind them - and I know that there are bad drivers around, but bad drivers aren't going to notice some LEDs either. I wouldn't feel any safer with or without them on.

Again, sorry to gingerbobafet for dragging this off topic in the first place. My original post was only meant to be a throw away line and then I dragged myself into a conversation that I'd forgotten the original point to. I hope you get your lights sorted and you're happy with them.

But it is just a discussion forum, no one's died and really nothing 'terrible' has gone on here.

I'll leave you in peace here.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I apologise to gingerbobafet for taking this topic off subject originally but Manfred...this forum is one of the tamest I've ever been a member of. Don't ever consider an MX-5 or a Smart Roadster or a VW T2 will you, because on their forums you'd get upset within the first 5 minutes.

"Name and shame is banned on here - maybe unecessary slagging should be too - I believed this was a group of people with a similar interest

I hope one of you moderators a clocked this thread - terrible!"

Unnecessary slagging? Of whom? I don't think anyone has said anything horrible to or about anyone or their vans. They've been critical of the safety/aesthetic claims of LED lights but 'similar interest' surely doesn't mean 'never disagree'. For the record, I think the lights on your van are quite tastefully done - I just don't see the point of them...

"Spend a week where I now live and you may consider a lighthouse on the bonnet and massive indicators - defensive driving is required all the time"

Salisbury is hardly a different planet to the rest of the country is it? It's not like you live in the Bronx. There are bad drivers everywhere these days and the amount of idiots (of all ages) in Essex astonish me. I know that people pull out in front of others, especially vans - persumably because they don't want to get stuck behind them - and I know that there are bad drivers around, but bad drivers aren't going to notice some LEDs either. I wouldn't feel any safer with or without them on.

Again, sorry to gingerbobafet for dragging this off topic in the first place. My original post was only meant to be a throw away line and then I dragged myself into a conversation that I'd forgotten the original point to. I hope you get your lights sorted and you're happy with them.

But it is just a discussion forum, no one's died and really nothing 'terrible' has gone on here.

I'll leave you in peace here.
Point taken - just one last comment - I think they may actually be working

21 - 27 of 27 Posts