VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The simple route would be to buy a 2.4D down pipe, which apparently replaces the catted down pipe and only costs about £40, even from VW? Gives more smiles per mile without a cat too!

Ian. :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yer thats a good point.

Is it worth getting the front part replaced with a stainless steel 2 1/4 pipe with replacing the rest in mind at a later date? Or is it not worth doing in stages?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It is worth doing in stages if funds don't allow you to go the whole hog just yet. Result will be the same in the end.

I have a full stainless system, no cat no silencers at all. I had a new clutch fitted yesterday and the manager said he couldn't believe his eyes when he looked up at my van (on their ramps) and saw the exhaust!! T: It sounds like a V8 on tick over, yet flew through its MOT.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers chaps.

Think i will have to get this done then but in stages (she doesnt notice as much if i do it that way T: )

Chap in the local exhaust powerflow place said it would make a lot of difference but i wasnt sure if it that was just his sales pitch talk..

I guess with no cat the gas flow is not restricted so better performance.

Your set up sounds nice Ian.

·
Registered
543 Posts
does the 2.4d downpipe thing work straight from the box or does it need modding? sounds like a useful fix if you're not ready for a full stainless but want better breathing.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
as above straight fit hassle free,i de cated mine a while back,you wont feel a massive difference,i done mine mostly due to the fac my cat had a small hole in it and it was a cheaper option for me-and i got £40 for my scrap cat-but the price is down now but it still has a scrap value

on the plus side i have already done the decat and egr blank off(does seem to run/pull/breathe better with both these done),so really i am looking at power increase on my 88hp but in stages,as in when funds allow so intercooler next then nozzles/remap if and when funds allow

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
So its worth taking the old cat down to the local scrap merchant then? I was going to offer it up for free. but if theres cash to be had....
I got mine off ebay. eternal summet. Was cheap and fitted fine, and if I can do it anyone can.

Cheers

P

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
De-cat is my next mod too. In the future im planning to get a powerflow stainless one as theres no point in replacing a perfectly good exhaust just yet. Was just wondering whether the diameter of an off the shelf stainless de-cat pipe is compatible with a powerflow??

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
So its worth taking the old cat down to the local scrap merchant then? I was going to offer it up for free. but if theres cash to be had....
I got mine off ebay. eternal summet. Was cheap and fitted fine, and if I can do it anyone can.

Cheers

P
prices are well down due to current climate,but should still be worth £15

·
Registered
96 Posts
Decided to de-cat my T4 the other day 'cos the cat had a small hole in it that was getting bigger. I decided to dump the centre section at the same time, replaced them both with a stainless power flow pipe. Left the standard back box on until funds allow a replacement.

I'm impressed, wasn't expecting much but she definitely has a bit more midrange poke, not loads, don't get me wrong but the van defo breaths a bit easier and pulls a wee bit better. Sounds the same tho which is a bit gutting, was hoping for I don't know a bit of grrrrrr ;)

T4's are renowned for that section of the cat rusting so the stainless is not only a good performance mod but will last years and years instead of about a year!

·
Registered
53 Posts
whats the general favourite or recomendations for a stainless replacement that fits exactly as it should with the rest of the std system?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Will the 2.4 down pipe fit all engine types?? I need to sort the exhaust on my 1.9td.

Anyone know?? Will the 2.4 downpipe fit my 1.9td?? Anyone got a part number from GSF/VW?? Or an ebay item number? Not being lazy, just want to get the right part.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can search ebay completed listings doing an advanced search.

This came up.

Try reading this thread also.

There is loads of info on here, this is a classic repeat question, just gotta search mate. ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
no point doing cat mate until the breathing at the inlet is done first.k&n panel filter mate.then the 2.4d pipe.not much bhp gain but will rev better.T:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts