VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
PP Tuning has pipes with a fake cat welded in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about when it comes to the emissions on the MOT test though
I have an 03 plate 2.5tdi 88HP ?
Will it pass with a fake one ?

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
My car has been passing the opacity tests with the cat removed for the past 4 years. They do only a smoke opacity inspection on cars older that 2004.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
What about when it comes to the emissions on the MOT test though
I have an 03 plate 2.5tdi 88HP ?
Will it pass with a fake one ?
Did decat longer ago than I can remember (poss had 12, 13 or even 14 MOT's since), never an issue.

May even buy a pipe with a dummy cat one day (just for the hell of it) ;):DA:T:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If you don't know a friendly MOT tester then the fake cat sounds like a good option. As far as I know any vehicle made after 1991 that had a cat from new still needs to have a cat fitted to pass. Although that may only apply to petrol, unsure.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If the car was made with a cat it needs to be present for them mot to pass unless you know them then they might let it go, the easiest way is to buy the exhaust with the dummy cat, they still pass on emissions with it removed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi there

My van has a decat exhaust fitted and it passed the MOT emissions test in January, my previous exhaust had the cat removed (unknown to me when I bought it) and that passed as well. Most replacement pipes seem to have a bulge which looks like a cat so unless you are unlucky to have a complete dick at your local garage in my experience as long as they pass the emissions test I dont think most MOT testers care.

Hope this helps?

Baz

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the car was made with a cat it needs to be present for them mot to pass unless you know them then they might let it go, the easiest way is to buy the exhaust with the dummy cat, they still pass on emissions with it removed.
For diesel vans the tester needs to prove that that particular vehicle was fitted with a cat originally. Unlikely to know , so should be a pass and advise at worst.
Read the mot manual online on gov.uk website.
For petrol vans, there is a cut off date in 1995 for vehicles needing a cat, again in the MOT manual
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4i00000101.htm

·
Registered
568 Posts
ive read the manual, section 7.1, reason for failure, 3. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing
where one was fitted as standard.
I dont think it would take alot to prove a 2003 van should have a cat fitted, after all they have been necessary to meet emission standards for about 20 years.
I believe the only t4 produced without a cat was the 2.4 aab engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts