VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings people, im thinking of de-catting my t5, has anyone done this? and also has there been any problems ie lots of smoke???

cheersT:

·
Registered
275 Posts
dont do it unless you have funds to replace your turbo every year. I see a lot of people decat their cars/vans in the tuning game. Lack of a cat and back pressure will cause the turbo to overspeed on overrun and full boost situations. This will wear out the bearing very quickly and as we all know the T5 turbo is not exactly a strong one to start with. The extra power you would gain from a de-cat is really not worth the pain and expense when things start failing because of it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont do it unless you have funds to replace your turbo every year. I see a lot of people decat their cars/vans in the tuning game. Lack of a cat and back pressure will cause the turbo to overspeed on overrun and full boost situations. This will wear out the bearing very quickly and as we all know the T5 turbo is not exactly a strong one to start with. The extra power you would gain from a de-cat is really not worth the pain and expense when things start failing because of it.
ah guess i wont be doing that then!! :eek: just as well i made sure first!cheers dude:ILU:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Oscarli, I got this off the Audi-Sport forum I used to frequent, its about De-DPF-ing an Audi Tdi 170. There has been a few problems not unlike te T5 dpf scenario, whats your thoughts on the following:

"What i did as a first step , I took Dpf out cut it on 3/4 way round and using drill I removed charcol ( filter ) and then I weld it together and put back. Car had been running perfectlly...
As a next step I ordered milltek cut down pipe for 2.0 Tdi 140Bhp , drill three holes ( one for Lambda Sensor , and two for temp.sensors (before and after DPF) , and replaced "Dpf can" with it.
I didin't put pressures pipes back - is not nessesary - leave this sensor without connecting pipes into it - car will notice that is no different in pressure , so DPF is clean ! It does work - I have done 10000miles now driving like this.
Dyno Shown 15Bhp more after this mode done - U can hear turbocharger spin quicker, whisling louder , and U get better throtle respond.
I have also put bigger vacum silicon hose from N75 valve (boost pressure sensor) to Actuator ( was 3mm originally , and i got 5mm now )

At the moment I'm working on MAF sensor (mas air flow) and on APS (absolute pressure sensor) - Why ??
I ordered racing N75K valve from US ( Seat used it in Leon 2.0tdi WWRC Edition )
to lift boost up to 21-22psi - and those sensors are bringing a foult on as overboost.
I need few more days to get it solved , and I getting closer to the end. "

·
Registered
275 Posts
you will get a better car to drive, as this guy says better response, etc. I am not doubting that, all I say is be prepared for the hardware to fail a lot quicker than normal. The vag 2.0tdi engine in 140 or 170hp guise has its own turbo/dpf problems (probably not as well known as the weak T5 turbo problem) and fail quite regularly in standard form.

I see a lot of the VAG car brigade spending fortunes on their 1.9 or 2.0 tdi engines to get circa 100bhp extra, even though I earn my living by tuning such cars it does puzzle me by the time you see how much it cost them to get a leon/golf/a3, etc to this power and torque level? They could have spent the same money and just bought an A4 with a 3.0tdi to start with, they would then have the power they want and still be reliable and under warranty if new enough??

·
Registered
875 Posts
Strangely the A4 3.0 Tdi was my alternative purchase. I have read around the Audi dpf topic and the T5 doesnt seem to have as many troubled owners or, they havnt found this forum to express difficulties. I think that there was something in my old A3 1.9 Tdi Quatttro, no dpf, relatively low tech and great fun when remapped to 180 bhp with some other suspension mods and anti roll bar upgrades.

Back to the T5, if the dpf is simply removed and a suitable pipe made up by Powerflow for instance, with the Lambda sensor refitted, leaving the two temp sensors out does seem a plausible way of stopping regeneration. I did think reading around it that the ecu was cleverer and threw checklights as it is supposed to regen every so many miles.

I am after a more responsive and fuel efficient version of the van I bought, removing the dpf I thought would have helped here. If the van had been available without a dpf, I would have taken it that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts