VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My loved T5 Caravelle died just after Christmas. I had got it towed to near my parents in Scotland and had a local mechanic look at it. His diagnosis was the turbo has gone and it's likely bits have gone into the engine.

His recommendation was to get a second hand engine and turbo. I have since found out that the 2.5 tdi's are hard to find and I think my best option is to sell if for parts and walk away : (

It's got captain seats (4) and a table in the back, the bodywork is okay but not brilliant. I reckon I can probably get a couple of grand for the seats and then sell the van as a non runner - how much would people roughly pay for that? It had a new starter, earth cable and clutch fitted at great expensive last year (~£2000) : (

If any one knows any good contacts in the Edinburgh area who might be interested in a project please let me know?

Paul

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
What happened to the engine, did it just stop or were there horrible noises? Did he say he had actually seen broken bits of the turbine? I would at least get another opinion before condemning the engine. The turbos can seize without breaking up and that can stop the engine running as they block the exhaust route. So if he just found the turbo seized and assumed it had broken up there may be some hope yet. A new turbo isn't cheap though.

Best of luck though and keep in touch. :)

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
What happened to the engine, did it just stop or were there horrible noises? Did he say he had actually seen broken bits of the turbine? I would at least get another opinion before condemning the engine. The turbos can seize without breaking up and that can stop the engine running as they block the exhaust route. So if he just found the turbo seized and assumed it had broken up there may be some hope yet. A new turbo isn't cheap though.

As he walked away, he cast no shadow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It kind of just stopped (going up a hill) - I had two kids in the car at the time, so did not really have much time to reflect on what it was sounding like. I can't remember there being any big noises.

The mechanic thinks a lot of oil has been pulled into the engine. He has a contact that can rebuild engines, so I am getting a quote to how much it will cost to get the engine out and analysed to see if it's salvageable. If the price is okay, I might take the punt and go for this. If it's good news, get it cleaned up and get a new turbo on it and rebuilt.

Other wise,I will strip it for parts and sell what's left.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would be getting a second opinion from someone who knows the 2.5 , could save the bus from being busted for what could be a not tooooo serious issue.....

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Get a second opinion, ours shat its turbo on a ringroad at about 40mph. Just started smoking like a good un and no power, got recovered and repaired with a new turbo and that was 3 years ago and its been fine since!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mechanic came back today and reckons that the engine was loosing compression so he does think a repair will not be cheap.

He's quoted me £400 to get the engine out and have and have it looked at. So if I add the price of a new turbo and fitting and possible work needed on the engine, I reckon it's going to be over a couple of grand at least. With the age of the van (53 plate), I think I might be best walking away and selling the seats and van for scrap :(

What do you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
My mechanic came back today and reckons that the engine was loosing compression so he does think a repair will not be cheap.

He's quoted me £400 to get the engine out and have and have it looked at. So if I add the price of a new turbo and fitting and possible work needed on the engine, I reckon it's going to be over a couple of grand at least. With the age of the van (53 plate), I think I might be best walking away and selling the seats and van for scrap :(

What do you think?

Think you've already been told the answer to that in the previous responses - get a second opinion........!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's booked in next week to get the engine out and looked at, fingers crossed that it can be fixed at not too high a cost : )

Thank you for your help everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts