VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help.. does anyone know where i stand with the new decat mot laws, i got a 2000 v reg dub , i have a decat pipe cos its a bit of a slugg, but i aint fitted it yet till i know if its gonna pass the mot test with all the new rules they're bringing in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
From what i have been told its a smoke test on the t4 so a de cat will be no problem. A few people on here have them and have no problems with mot.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHS

Diesel's are fine (for now) no doubt it will change at some point in the future though :ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
2003 on EU3, "OGE" 2.5tdi's will apparanetly need a cat fitted from Jan2012 as part of EU forcing changes on the UK..
bummer as i binned the cat when it rotted through and fitted a decat and will now have to replace this with a CAT to get an MOT :(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The new mot laws coming out for end 2011/2012 will mean that diesel vehicles registered after june 2006 will have to come inline with new emission laws, its still a smoke test though but of a lesser amount needed to fail or pass.
It seams to be intended for anything fitted with a dpf (diesel particulate filter) so us t4 guys will be ok T: poor t5 owners though :*

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It should be any 4 wheeled petrol vehicle upto 3500kg gvw registered on or after 1st aug 1992 needs to pass the emission test, this doesnt mean it has to have a cat though.Most people think it has to have a cat to pass the test, it doesnt, the test measures the co content, so any filtering or metering device to make your car run lean while at the mot will be fine.
Some vehicle that will pass without a mot are typically honda's or most quality jap cars that are standard, as there emission laws are stricter in japan, as long as that is that it was made in japan and not a uk made one ;)
But if your air filter is old and the oil and filter need a change and you have big gpas in plugs and rattly valves it will need a cat to absorb all the mistakes your engine has made :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts