VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon fellow dinners.

I'm gonna throw it out here to get the good, the bad and the ugly opinions from owners of both.

Which engine is best 1.9 Tdi or 2.5 Tdi? And are there any variants of each to particularity aim for/avoid?
I'm sure it's already been discussed but after 10 mins of searches I came up with nothing. Prob gonna purchase a T5 this weekend to replace my 2.5 Tdi T4. I love my T4 but she old and battered and burns oil.

Don't hold back I want your horror stories if any.

Matt

·
Registered
842 Posts
As you're already driving a 2.5 I doubt you'd be happy with the 1.9. Just to throw you, the later versions also have a 2.0!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1.9 with a pendle re-map its fine for me and tow a caravan with no problems. down to personal choice really and what you going to use it for.T:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got a 2.5 174. It's so easy to drive as you can use the torque of the engine to pull rather than having to work the engine/gears of the 1.9.
The 1.9 will never be as good if your pulling any weight in or with the van. Even if you get a remap it will still have to work pretty hard.

If you drive a 1.9 and jump straight into a 2.5 you will notice a dramatic difference. It's the low down grunt that is missing on the 1.9's and you'll have to rev it more compared to the 5 pot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts