VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone clearly explain the term "Day Van" please? As opposed to "Camper van"? Are they actually the same thing really or , different in the respect of what kit is installed in them? I've wondered this for some time now so, can someone please put me out of their misery? :confused:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Day van is more designed and kitted out as a utility vehicle for mountain biking / surfing etc.. Camper would include maybe pop top, cooking, sleeping, heating, fridge, cupboards etc.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My interpretation is that a campervan is fully decked out with the facilities to stay overnight cook and store clothes and food.

and a day van is something you use for days out to the beach or wherever. With minimal facilities maybe a camping stove for your bacon sarnie. Probly wouldnt have a bed but would have seating maybe

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
For what it's worth, as I really couldn't care less , either way. My t4 was and t5 is, insured as a dayvan / camper. Neither had fixed gas cooking, the t4 didn't have a fridge or sink. Both had beds which fold away, but the t5 has proper belted seats in the back.
Both fitted with night-heaters, neither with a pop top.

I imagine that muddies the water even more. :*

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one. Thanks for that T:. An Insurance chap asked me if I had a Camper or a Day van and, I didn't really know what to say :confused:. It isn't really finished yet but, I'm going down the RIB bed route with a drive away awning and No fridge, cooking facilities or pop top so, I guess that must make mine a Day van! Cheers for that A:. Happy Day's!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Surely a day van means that it doesn't have a bed? If you go by the description of 'Day van' you just use in the day. Once you fit a bed and more windows then its a camper van.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My take on this is that during the day my "day van" is a van and at night Iit is a makeshift camper!
It's not a camper because it doesn't have a sink or built in cooker (If it did, I would have notified DVLA and be blatting it around in the LEZ!T:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
This will really screw with you heads, mines has units and a bed/ seats. Does not have a pop top or fixed cooker sink or fridge and is registered with the DVLA as a MOTOR CARAVAN Rasp:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
This will really screw with you heads, mines has units and a bed/ seats. Does not have a pop top or fixed cooker sink or fridge and is registered with the DVLA as a MOTOR CARAVAN Rasp:

That is a quality van. T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts