VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T4b caravelle 2.5 tdi 102bhp had it for 10 years now but is currently undergoing a change from auto to manual (cali campers in New Milton) as it’s failed again for the 4th time, there’s 290K miles on the odometer. engine is still strong.
I was told that the T4 is going “classic” in 2018 which means no oem parts will be made and therefor will be very expensive to replace. is this true? what does it actually mean?
I have a choice between replacing the dual mass flywheel and clutch assembly and master clutch cylinder for a new one or 2nd hand, difference is £300 extra. Is it worth the difference?

I live in London, well outside the congestion zone charge area but inside the north circular (A406) and I’m led to understand that all diesels before 2016 will have to pay a “T-Charge” for driving anywhere in London after May 2018 which makes about 8 million diesel engine vehicles redundant. I find that hard to believe, but what alternatives are there besides moving out on London; other major cities will follow.
My usual mechanic told me to scrap the T4 and get one of those new Lexus 7 seater hybrids instead. I switched off when I heard that.
Best regards
Isaac

·
Registered
568 Posts
i would have a new clutch due to the amount of labor costs involved if it fails.
Some of the older t4 parts are already only available as non oem but t4s where made up until 2003ish so cant see vw writing them of completely any time soon.
Not sure about the t charge but all us old diesel drivers will get shafted eventually either by ridiculous tax or zone charges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts