VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T5 130TDI...well it has been in garage for over year! Had engine re-build but revved high, smoked and stopped after 200 miles. Have discovered that the engine oil is filling up with deisel. My mechanic believed it could only mix in the fuel pump (also had problem starting first thing a.m.- fuel draining back into tank also implying crack in pump) or cracked injector. Have fitted replacement fuel pump and now has removed and tested injectors but no faults. Does anyone have any other suggestions or experienced similar problem. Am running out of options!!.. and cash! HELP!

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
ive seen oil in the diesel before (leaking injector seals) the only time ive had experience of diesel getting into engine oil has been a tandem lift pump, but we havent done many of those mates

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes ...check those fuel pipes inside the camcover that deliver LP fuel into the PD injectors, obviously look for any loose nuts or cracked pipes.
You can have drips and dribbles from an injector pintle but I don't think this problem would effect a PD injector, symptoms are clouds of white smoke on start-up. Injectors dont normally suffer cracks but the pipes do. If it is a cracked pipe then it will be hard to see then in-situ, may have to take all 5 out and check on a bench.
Good luck.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry getting mi PD & CR mixed up on VW & Merc. You need to check those big O rings for any leakage, they should have been renewed when pulled out !!
Check this YT footage, it will give you a good idea of what you are up against with pumps and injectors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb0l...7DC66F952&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Pay particular attention to the 3rd 'un!! Its a PD out of a T5 model.T:T:

FF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.- Beyond my level of understanding but will pass info on to mechanic,- hopefully stop him pulling hair out! Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
funnily enough, I was grillin the owner of our local engineers/machining shop about known issues with the PD engine, particularly top end/cam/injector mechanical problems, he said

'not seen any cam top end issues but small end problems on early engines with the narrower pointy end rods, causes were often diesel in oil or wrong engine oil combined with a suspect design to the small end, later engines were beefed up with wider pin and stronger thicker rod end.'

I asked him do they get oil in diesel or, he said 'usually diesel in oil'.
I didnt ask how but I think he maybe mentioned injectors or seals of some sort???

hth

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had diesel in my oil which was from a faulty tandem pump as the injector seals were replaced.
Im not sure that this is true but running the engine with diesel contaminated oil will F**K the turbo too in time.
It did mine anyway!
And its still in the garage waiting for pay day!!:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, i have the same problem just had new fuel pump at the dealers,no good still the same so they said it needed the injector seals doin had those done last friday and guess wot broke down again today! all this ontop of a bill for 1742quid for a water pump,which they couldnt get out so took the engine out,so in total im 2495 out of pocket and the vans worse now than when i started,its now at an independent for sorting properly and legal advice is been taken,hope you sort yours.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi there gvans123 I really do sympathize for you mate but let this be a lesson to you all, main dealers are no guarantee of quality. They are only intent on emptying yer wallet!! The main dealers will happily take on any work and happily charge you £75 per hour or whatever.....and you dont get yer van back until you pay up!!

I too had problems with my main VW dealer and they tried to faff about sorting an ECU problem with new ECU, new MAF sensor, etc etc etc. It turned out eventually to be the immobilizer wire shorting intermittent to ground and putting my ECU into lock-out mode. This revelation I found myself after pulling out half the dash.......but I did it by a logical process of elimination...........noy change everything *****-nilly (at customers expense) till it worked!

I know its not helpful to this thread (or this forum) but because of similar engine problems I now drive Vito. Anyway the diesel can only enter the VW sump via the PD injector body O rings or the tandem pump. 9/10 its the O rings that leak, these must be greased as they are fitted otherwise they tear!!
Hope you can obtain compo like from the dealers. If they are main dealers, then name&shame is the way forward, not ideal but they are supposed to be the pro's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK chaps, had a think about this one now, heres what to do to confirm for any leaks. I have not worked on a T5 for ages now but do tell me if this tandem pump is on the end of the camshaft. If theres nowt there you must have an electric pump in the tank.
Anyway check the colour of your fuel oil filter, now unless you use really mucky fuel, it should not be inky black, if it is then you are leaking sump oil into your diesel. Try to take a dip of your fuel tank and see what colour it is, if its inky black then you have contaminated fuel returning back to the tank from leak-offs.
If so remove your fuel filter and pour it all into a container. Traditionally its black with muck but this time it might be black with sump oil. If thats the case, then check the seals within the tandem pump (if its camshaft driven) . The black diesel will be contaminating all your system so if you have it you will have to remove tank, drain it and clean it.
Naturally fit a new camshaft fuel pump (or fit new seals) and new fuel filter. This fuel pump normally only is used to fill the diesel gallery around the PD injectors, its set to about 15 psi but may rise to 25 psi when engine is flat out. Make sure pump-to-head gasket is sound.
Those big O rings around the PD injectors are where you get diesel into sump oil, nowhere else....these are the only 2 sites where diesel and sump oil are next to each other........unless that feckin' head gallery has a hairline crack or it porous.....!!
Again thats why I drive MB.
:*:*

·
Registered
9 Posts
just to update you all on this,got the engine stripped down again, blanked the return pipe off and pressure tested the injectors and found no3 injector leaking,coming from the small plate on the rear of the injector body! surely you would have thought the main dealer would have found this seeing as theyve supposedly reseated the bloody things last week? having the turbo done aswell the guys who are doing it say that with all the diesel ive been getting in the oil the seal wont last long before it goes.cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts