VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have done a bit of research into the fumes in the cab and dash engine light = blocked EGR.
So 1st question: Has anyone ever used the ALLARD Electronic EGR Valve Delete Pipe VW T5 Van Transporter 2.5 Tdi +before?
2nd question: what do you do with the left over electrical leads?
3rd and final question: is it easy to do? (I'm a bricky by trade lol):*

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Exhaust fumes in the cab can also be a sign of a cracked exhaust manifold on the 2.5 engines. It's quite common apparently.
I'd get one of Pendle Performance's agents near to you to "switch off" the EGR valve electronically rather than removing/replacing parts, personally.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've used the Alard EGR Delete, but my EGR wasn't electronic, 2005 2.5

But it was simples on mine! came with instructions that were simples

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,
Here's my two penny's worth,

I've just been down this route with my caddy, except that I had already bought the pipe as no one has any experience with my engine set up.

The EGR valve system has changed quite considerably since T4 generation And early T5 vw vehicles. The EGR system now almost certainly has got a EGR cooler .

You cannot remove the EGR valve without doing something about the cooler. ( the cooler leaking exhaust gas was the reason I went down the EGR removal/ delete route ) and the cooling system that is also attached to it.

The modern generation EGR valve has almost no restriction to airflow. The main restriction in the system is not the EGR valve but the anti shudder valve! The anti shudder valve is an important component in a modern diesel engine especially when the engine is shutting down.

If you fit an allard pipe I would suggest that you make sure it is only removing the EGR valve and that anti shudder valve which is important to the engine is still in place and fucnctional. Some replace both valves EGR & anti shudder
So in short an EGR delete and EGR blanking and removal of the egr cooler is a good idea the replacement of all the valves with some allard pipes is not really neccisary unless you want the look of the pipe and a very rough running engine on shutdown.
Also the removal of the glow plug and engine management lights is much more difficult with an allard pipe rather than a blanked off existing EGR valve.

I hope you can make some sense of my rambling drivel.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trev,

I think I am getting it lol. are you saying just use the blanking plates an leave the rest? I was also thinking maybe just clean it out when its off.:confused:

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Trev,

I think I am getting it lol. are you saying just use the blanking plates an leave the rest? I was also thinking maybe just clean it out when its off.:confused:
Hi,

If you have decided on an allard pipe then go for it, I did, though there is little performance advantage only cosmetic enhancement.

If you decide to keep the existing EGR valve then you will need to blank the inlet where the exhaust gas enters the EGR valve.and blank the outlet from the exhaust manifold.

If you decide to keep the existing EGR valve then it would be prudent to degunge the bore of the valve. If you are really enthusiastic then remove the inlet manifold and clean that to. ( they do tend to scour themselves cleanish to one degree or another, as there is no longer any particles from the exhaust mixing with the oil mist from the engine vent, and weeping turbo seals )

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Asked the question when mine was mapped and was advised to leave it on, Dpf gone though. 08 2.5.:)
I've got the same advice. I've took mine apart for cleaning, but it was pretty clean so just stuck it back on. I'm keeping it but as you say, DPF will go :)

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
why leave it on, whats the advantages ?
Hi,

The advantage is there is very little disadvantage to leaving it in place and very little advantage in fitting an allard type pipe,
unless you are after a bit of bling.
It is also easier to do an EGR delete with the EGR wiring connected to the EGR valve as opposed to having them just disconnected.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I'm gunna man up and clean and blank it (cheaper that way) then look to the place in launton for code removal. Don't need the bling element as the only time the bonnet is up is when an AA bloke has his head in the engine bay !!!

Which is all to often !!!:eek:

Thanks for all ya help peeps

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know of anyone whom has a rough shutdown, I've never had this...

regardless, everyone and every garage say different things. But my MPG improved with EGR delete and quicker throttle response. Blanking it has the same effect, but with slight air flow disruption as it passes though the egr system.

Never heard of any tuners whom say is a bad move to remove it...

There are some very long complex threads on here explaining the egr system. I've had no issues since removing it, just improvements, including no more black smoke as you boot it

·
Special Rapporteur
9,090 Posts
Never heard of any tuners whom say is a bad move to remove it...
Pendle Performance has stated on this forum that the EGR valve should not be removed on the later T5 models (IIRC "later" referred to any of the facelift engine variants).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pendle Performance has stated on this forum that the EGR valve should not be removed on the later T5 models (IIRC "later" referred to any of the facelift engine variants).
aren't we talking about the 2.5's though?

I know very little about the 2.0's

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Martin mapped my 2008 sportline with the later BPC 2.5 engine, and I was advised to leave the EGR as is. Dan at Just Vanz explained why, but it got very technical very quickly and after about 5 seconds he could have been talking in Arabic?! :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
from 2006 onward, I think they changed the engine model? various differences.. one being the EGR.. Hence perhaps why it's encouraged on he older AXE's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts