VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am just purchasing a 2009 2.5 TDI T32 LWB (tailgate) and trying to decide on a few things. My first van so be nice please. Any description terms please bear with me as learning lol.

I am converting it so I can go on a work/pleasure tour of Europe so only be a 2 birth. So basically rear will be an office / dinning / sleeping area.
Is a pop top really essential? As th evan does not have air/con I was think a sunroof might be a better option.
As I am going to have a 'pull out bench' style bed along the passenger side of the van as this give more space along middle of van. However I can't seem to find a pop top that gives height all along drivers side of van.

Due to concerns I've been told about in Europe and diesel, I am going for LPG unslung tank for fridge, cooking and heating; hopefully water heating for a shower as well if can find something that works. - shower head under tail gate.

Question on last does anyone know if the fresh and grey water tanks will go under van as well if I go with above?

Any other advice I am more than happy to receive .

many thanks
P.S. I will have some alloys with nearly new low profile tyres, a double bench seat and a single seat plus the VW flooring with points for sale.
I am looking for a driver's left side captain's seat arm rest.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,977 Posts
Due to concerns I've been told about in Europe and diesel, I am going for LPG unslung tank
I doubt you'll find diesel hard to get in Europe any time soon. But if you check out other camper van forums, you'll find that LPG outlets are getting more and more scarce on UK petrol station forecourts...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt you'll find diesel hard to get in Europe any time soon. But if you check out other camper van forums, you'll find that LPG outlets are getting more and more scarce on UK petrol station forecourts...
Hi
thanks for the quick reply and sorry for my poor choice of words. I should have included it is not the fuel but the running of diesel heater systems overnight that seems to raise concerns.

Cheers

·
Special Rapporteur
8,977 Posts
I've had experience of three different diesel heaters (and one gas) - they can be a bit noisy at startup and you can get a bit of unburnt diesel smell initially, but once they have run for a while they quieten down and should not generate fumes of any significance.

The issue with LPG in the UK seems to be that plug-in EV charging points are displacing LPG pumps, which don't get much use. I can't see that situation getting any better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had experience of three different diesel heaters (and one gas) - they can be a bit noisy at startup and you can get a bit of unburnt diesel smell initially, but once they have run for a while they quieten down and should not generate fumes of any significance.

The issue with LPG in the UK seems to be that plug-in EV charging points are displacing LPG pumps, which don't get much use. I can't see that situation getting any better.
Hi thanks for info
general complaint to any noise overnight from over campers, which is understandable.
Mind you I am hoping most of the time the heater will not be used so possibly an extra toy. trouble is I am trying to plan build and what can be fitted underneath now.
Another point would you put 2 lesiaure batteries under passenger or drivers seat?

Cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have a look at the wallas duo its a cooker and a heater running of the van fuel tank so no lpg tank
In the past I have praised it and condemed it but as was noted from a poster it needs to be used to keep it working
At dubfreeze I was talking to someone that had toured north Africa in a t5 with a wallas and he swore by it
"It's only the thought that matters "

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regards the pop-top, you can fit one which raises the entire roof the same distance.
This will be the kind we get eventually.

·
Registered
523 Posts
And... be prepared for the "yacht owner" price tag...
Yes they are a bit expensive but a lpg tank, smev,and esbach heater will come in about 1100 so at 1500 they aren't that much more and no condensation from lpg but I have
to admit it does take a bit longer to boil a kettle but you do get 2 burners for the price of one (it heats both at the same time)
"It's only the choice that matters "

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regards the pop-top, you can fit one which raises the entire roof the same distance.
This will be the kind we get eventually.
Hi

Any idea of suppliers as I have been searching for one like this after seeing some vintage photos.
the only one I found was a bit flimsy and not tested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they are a bit expensive but a lpg tank, smev,and esbach heater will come in about 1100 so at 1500 they aren't that much more and no condensation from lpg but I have
to admit it does take a bit longer to boil a kettle but you do get 2 burners for the price of one (it heats both at the same time)
"It's only the choice that matters "
Hi thanks for reply.
I some some youtube videos on these being tested and understand your point.
I did have someone say you could get a normal style cooker (like gas) that runs on diesel? This way you could have a "cheap chinese" heater that seems to have strong recommendations. Jut looking at cost but then "heater usage".

Arh the joys of freedom of choice. lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi
Any idea of suppliers as I have been searching for one like this after seeing some vintage photos.
the only one I found was a bit flimsy and not tested.
poptoproofs.co.uk do one of the full length lifts like this:

I've noticed though that some of the angled elivating roofs give a greater lift at the hinged end than others.
Such as this:

Compared to this:

And then there is also this option:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
poptoproofs.co.uk do one of the full length lifts like this:
View attachment 180021

I've noticed though that some of the angled elivating roofs give a greater lift at the hinged end than others.
Such as this:
View attachment 180022

Compared to this:
View attachment 180023

And then there is also this option:
View attachment 180024
Hi Jon,

thanks for the info and sorry for the slow response.

Yes I looked at poptops and talked to them before. Concern I have is that I was informed none have been stressed tested! As they seem to be roughly same cost as those that have I am still researching.

The second photo shows side view better, especially height at rear.

I know someone who installed their own - mechanically minded gent - but insurance etc insist on a professional installer to change log book to a campervan :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hi
I've decided to go with LPG - underslung tank and hse2000 heater. Then underslung fresh and waste water tanks. The main issue here is limited on water capacity due to location available.
I might go with no waste tank (use bucket) to increase fresh water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts