VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chuffed that I have just purchased sub and rear speakers from Absolut. so I have a complete ice install ready to go

However here is my dilemma - I have a full camper conversion with side furniture , Absolut recommended pointing the rears forward for the best sound and I have searched on line for ideas for the rear speaker install and there only seems a few pictures I can find but it doesnt look they are for 6.5" speakers or they have rib seats or no headrests. My seat has fixed head rests so sit higher and I think the only way I can fit these is to lose the whole back window. Unless anyone can show me how they have fitted theirs?

Alternatively I may have to point them downwards or change them for smaller speakers. Does anyone have any pictures of installs they have with a full camper conversion using 6.5" rear speakers or can anyone advise what speakers sound like pointing downwards.

Thanks in advance

Pics of mine to give you an idea of my issue

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hasn't anyone put in 6.5" rear speakers in a full camper ? Or has anyone got any ideas that I haven't thought about ? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This won't help you but I'm going for 5" rears and mine is a barn door with no windows! Just thought I'd send you a reply! What sub are you usinmg and where is that going? I have a tube and amp but have just bought a Kenwood ksc-sw11 to mount under the driver's seat. Just hope it's gonna sound like I want it to!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks it does look as though I will have point down or change to smaller speakers. Going to try and mock up the pointing down over the weekend Not ideal but can't lose the whole back window.

Underseat sub box and Jl 10in from absolut. Will fit in passenger double swivel. 189 I think but they have sold out so have to wait a couple of weeks for sub box to be built. Mono amp under drivers seat with leisure battery and 4 channel amp behind drivers seat . Need to relocate th table to beside the r&r seat and cupboard. Space is limited with a full conversion.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hasn't anyone put in 6.5" rear speakers in a full camper ? Or has anyone got any ideas that I haven't thought about ? Thanks.
Not sure about the size, probably 5", but this is how Westfalia did it in a T4. Hope ot helps.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
yep, we got x2 sets. Busy replacing the upper bed ones with custom made box ones with new pioneer d-series. We have a seperate radio in the back for use when camping so it does not drain the main battery and easier to operate when in bed....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics. I think I will build an enclosure with the speakers pointing down. Not ideal but I think this is the only option.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right going to have a crack of building these myself. I know that sub enclosures you would use 18mm Mdf. But I can't find recommendations for rear speaker coax installs. Does anyone know what thickness to use could I get away with 12mm or do you still use 18mm? Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I would up date this thread. In the end I got the enclosure built for me. It's not level because of the furniture and it maximises rear view out the back. Only problem when it is amped is it vibrates. Don't know if that is because it wasn't made from mdf or it needs sound deadening ?But it is just fill in at the moment so not an issue

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Anyone have any ideas?
You need to increase the mass of the enclosure, I would try lining the inside of it with self adhesive sound deadening sheet, may need a double layer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts