VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking for some local help, I seem to have mis-placed the only key for my 1999 1.9TD. I am able to get into the van without it, but obviously cannot drive. Does anyone know what my cheapest option might be? A locksmith or dealership? Has anyone has a key cut recently in Cardiff, if so how much was it?

I don't think it has an immobiliser on it, just a normal looking key, is it still likely to be coded?

Cheers in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Im sure all 1999s have an imobiliser chip in the key- therefore only vw i think

i had to get one for my 1999 t4-i think it was about £30 but it was a few years ago

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha Ha, well said Rhinochaser. Thanks anyway Isobelle, and vwgolfdriver, it was a bit of a farce in the end, I had lost the one and only key I had, so going to a key shop wasn't an option. Managed to find a mobile locksmith who would cut me a key and try to get the code by plugging a computer into the dash somewhere, all for the bargain price of £120!

Of course, I happen to have the only year of transporter which his software was unable to decode, so the fee was reduced to £25, however I now had a key which would open but not start the van!

luckily I managed to track down a spare key which the previous owner still had, so he posted it to me, hooray! but it doesn't end there.....the first time I got back in to drive it, the bloody original key slid towards me on the dash....IT HAD BEEN THERE ALL ALONG!!!!

Whoops.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts