VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys i'll make short and sweet.

I am having my 1.9td gearbox sorted in a months time due to a seal going behind the bell housing it had been taken of around 3 weeks ago and filled with fresh oil but has to come off again due to this problem occuring.
So while this is happing i am losing around a table spoon of oll a day. So i bought some oil so i can top it up as i noticed gears not smoothly changing and i am going away from tomorrow for a few days to a vw festival. Anyway i undone the filler cap and oil pours out so lost more around half a cup:eek: Anyway so what am saying is i am pretty sure the filler cap is facing the front of the engine on the 1.9td gearbox like the 2.5 and not the drain plug???....so how do i fill it up if oil is coming out as soon as i undo the bolt??? I don't really want to drain it all again and i am leaving tomorrow lunchtime so need to sort it....or will i be ok with oil i have in there???? Please anyone???

cheers

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Right guys i'll make short and sweet.

I am having my 1.9td gearbox sorted in a months time due to a seal going behind the bell housing it had been taken of around 3 weeks ago and filled with fresh oil but has to come off again due to this problem occuring.
So while this is happing i am losing around a table spoon of oll a day. So i bought some oil so i can top it up as i noticed gears not smoothly changing and i am going away from tomorrow for a few days to a vw festival. Anyway i undone the filler cap and oil pours out so lost more around half a cup:eek: Anyway so what am saying is i am pretty sure the filler cap is facing the front of the engine on the 1.9td gearbox like the 2.5 and not the drain plug???....so how do i fill it up if oil is coming out as soon as i undo the bolt??? I don't really want to drain it all again and i am leaving tomorrow lunchtime so need to sort it....or will i be ok with oil i have in there???? Please anyone???

cheers

if oil pours out when the filler-plug is removed then it is Over-filledI:

iirc, the level is actually 5mm lower than the bottom of the threads:* (van on level ground)

theres an image of the vw 'dipstick' to make somewhere on this forum (try googling?)

as to the inpit-shaft oilseal leaking, beware of oil contaminating your clutch..............

Rich,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I thought too then I thought I removed wrong plug.. Starting to think the garage overfilled box than the seal gone :confused: so do you think I should drain some out or leave it for now?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought too then I thought I removed wrong plug.. Starting to think the garage overfilled box than the seal gone :confused: so do you think I should drain some out or leave it for now?
If it is actually over filled, get it to the correct level, as it's putting pressure on the seals ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts