VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is it an aftermarket DAB antenna that fits to the windscreen, or a VW one that fits inside the door mirror housing?

The clips on the A pillar can be stiff to disengage, especially if they’ve never been off before, but they will yield.

Don’t worry if the clips break, or if they stay in the metal of the a pillar and don’t come off with the plastic trim, as you can pull them out of the a pillar and slot them back into the trim piece when it’s off, or replace them if they break (which they usually don’t it’s fair to say).

tug it towards the middle of the van, then once disengaged from the clips, slide it ‘up’ towards the roof to get it to clear the dash end at the bottom.

hope this helps.

Nik.
Thanks Nik, it’s an aftermarket windscreen one one, but I’ve connected it and chucked it in the glove box for the minute and it works perfectly! 😂

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
59 Posts
You must be in a strong DAB signal area mate.

you’ll notice reception issues if you go further afield, or you’re travelling away from a transmitter without ‘line of sight’ between the transmitter and your antenna (it’ll sound like you are underwater as it ‘bubbles’ when it can’t get enough pieces of the digital transmission to put together a complete sound)

when you do fit it to the screen, keep the highest part around 150mm down from the top (but keep it as high as possible) and make sure you attach the ground ‘strip’ to the metal part of the a pillar. You don’t need to scrape any paint off before you stick the ground strip on, they’re designed to work through the paint.

they work better in vans than cars as the windscreen is more vertical/less raked than a car and therefore the antenna is held more upright (the signal is vertically polarised, but by the time it’s reached you it’s bounced off of loads of stuff so the tuner is decoding all the ‘echoes’ too).

hope this helps.

nik.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Towing the caravan back today. She did well on the way here, not as gutsy as my Rav4 and struggled a bit on hills so potentially thinking of a remap but is it worth it for the 3 or 4 times a year we end up towing?
News on the coil overs, should be with me next Friday!
ED0B6F4A-A2AB-4A2A-BE8D-3015B0F5C0B9.jpeg

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
Looks good mate , hope youve enjoyed your days away .
Remap i think is a good idea as to not have to 'work' it so hard and a bit more midrange torque cant be a bad thing .
What coilies you going for ?

·
Premium Member
4,059 Posts
Looks lovely mate, decent weather and cracking views (y)
Definitely worth getting a remap, will help when towing but also makes the day to day drive less laboursome on the engine, potentially will see some fuel saving too although this is a added bonus, I've not seen any but then I like to use the extra ponies to help clear the pipes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks good mate , hope youve enjoyed your days away .
Remap i think is a good idea as to not have to 'work' it so hard and a bit more midrange torque cant be a bad thing .
What coilies you going for ?
Yea it’s been great just to get away from it all. Really quiet in the site which was a bonus.
After lots of deliberation I went for the Stance Street from Tamar Wheels which is literally just down the road from me. I thought I’ve heard no bad reviews and for £50 more than just springs with a 2 year warranty it seems a no brainier. I have to keep my spending in check as we still haven’t finished our house so I’m balancing the 2. Wheels are next potentially. Although the choices and correct wheels are giving me sleepless nights 😂

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks lovely mate, decent weather and cracking views (y)
Definitely worth getting a remap, will help when towing but also makes the day to day drive less laboursome on the engine, potentially will see some fuel saving too although this is a added bonus, I've not seen any but then I like to use the extra ponies to help clear the pipes.
Tempted to get the remap and keep the Davenport alloys but space them out a bit as I like them a lot

·
Premium Member
4,059 Posts
Tempted to get the remap and keep the Davenport alloys but space them out a bit as I like them a lot
Dropped a smidge on your new coilovers and spacers and it'll look 👌 while retains functionality. Remap means better drivability, makes sense in my mind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So this just arrived!!! Have had a good look over and the quality for the money is really good. I’ve had coil overs before, AVO coil overs for my old lotus elan and these do look well made. No rough edges. The proof is in the pudding. Potentially fitting the weekend with my brother of the wives let us have the time 😂
986DC3DE-E765-4EEC-BD23-0ACAADAAFC50.jpeg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
.... oh and all booked in for a remap in May with RH Tuning in Plymouth who have a really good reputation

·
Premium Member
4,059 Posts
Interesting to see how you fin the coils Mikey, they've had lots of great reviews so expect them to be good. Very tempted myself.

Roll on the remap (y)

·
Premium Member
4,059 Posts
It was advised when I bought my springs, maybe worth doing while you've got the spanners out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got the same kit on my t5 and no issues at all.
Very happy with them

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes to t6 and new drop links.
Apparently the t6 top mounts are different to t5.
Plus you can build the suspension up ready to fit before fitting

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
Top mount bearings are a reasonably common failing so it makes sense to upgrade to the t6 set up and like Chris says you can physically build the front suspension units up prior to fitting them .
Droplinks often dont want to come undone and you end up having to cut them off so go for new Meyle HD ones as theyre far better quality than alot of the others and still only £30 a pair .
Just over £100 gets you new t6 mounts and hd droplinks .

21 - 40 of 84 Posts