VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Devon Workshop Meets

4K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  ChrisW 
#1 ·
Due to the positive response I have had to the idea I have decided to start a dedicated thread to getting the East Devon VW workshop meets up and running.

Just in case you missed the original posts in the general sections of the forum here is a little recap on the ideals of a local workshop group.
We will be meeting every few weeks to work on someone's van doing anything from annual servicing through to pop top fitting. Should be a great opportunity to learn some new skills and impart some skills on others. By trade I am a joiner but pretty mechanically minded too. I should specify you don't have to be amazingly practical for this (always need someone to do the bbq and make sure everyone has a drink). I'm happy to provide the venue as I have a full joinery workshop at home.
There would be no overly formal joining fee etc just a goodwill gesture that if it's your van receiving a dose of tlc from the group you buy the steaks for the bbq and a box of beers. I will always advertise what job we will be doing and on what van well in advance so if you want to come along just for a few pointers you can. I will also be trying to arrange for professional's to come in and do pro's fitting tips and demo's for particular products, Martyn (upspex) from travel volts has already said he would be up for this if there is demandT:T:.

I will try to prioritise jobs appropriately by taking into account how much demand there is for people to do a particular job, how desperate the job is (ie fault making van unsafe, mot failiure etc) and lastly how much time the van owner gives to the group.

If your interested in coming to the workshop meets to learn, teach, help or just to cook some steak baguettes (there will be a steak baguette leader board) then I need a bit of info from you please......

Type of van
Type of engine
Problems that the van has
Upgrades that you want to make
Skills you would like to learn
What skills you can teach to others
Realistically how often would you be able to attend a meet
would you prefer a set day every month / 2 weeks or a bit more of a mixed up schedual
Lastly a picture of your van would be nice

Pop this info up in a post below and I will start to try to arrange when the first few sessions will be and who's vans we will be working on.

See less See more
#2 ·
Example reply.....

2008 T5 Caravelle Exec

2.5 174bhp

Electric slide doors don't always unlock in the cold

I want ti fit Bilstein B12 lowering kit

I want to be able to do my own annual servicing

I can fit hook-ups, split charge systems generally okay with 12v wiring, okay at bodywork, really good at building camper furniture
and I cook a REALLY MEAN MEDIUM RARE RIB EYE STEAK :D:D

I can do once a month easily possibly twice a month from time to time (but then I do live fairly local to the workshop

Regular suits me best

#3 ·
Will post some pics soon, but the first trial run for the workshop event meant I could get the cabinets in my T4 finished.

Being selfish again, if people would be up for a mass lowering session, I'd be well up for that! I guess servicing wouldn't go a miss either (t4 2.5 Tdi)

#4 ·
Looking forward to learning and helping at the workshops. I would say there is nothing wrong with the van at the moment.... but that would be just tempting fate :D

I am tempted to get some alloys, advice and lessons learnt from others experiences would be great T:

About once a month would be a good balance for me, possibly even in the evenings, when summer rears its head

#6 · (Edited)
2002 T4 Converted Panel

2.5 250bhp

Head gasket needs doing,

Paint need polishing work polishing. Have tools but can't use.

I can fit injectors, and pretty much anything conversion wise. Also have vagcom and can do timing setting.
and I don't do bad on a bbq myself.

Even if I don't have the finesse to do it I know how to as done everything pretty much on my van. Also qualified carpenter joiner and structural engineer

I can do once a month easily possibly twice a month from time to time. Open to suggestions.

#8 ·
Type of van Caravelle CL SWB
Type of engine 1.9TD
Problems that the van has - I'm not going to temp fate...
Upgrades that you want to make - leisure electrics
Skills you would like to learn - nothing particularly
What skills you can teach to others - 20 yrs of fiddling experience
Realistically how often would you be able to attend a meet - quarterly
would you prefer a set day every month / 2 weeks or a bit more of a mixed up schedule - regular

#9 ·

I've got a 56 plate 130hp lwb camper and a 03 reg 102hp swb ex AA van, neither of them need anything doing really, but I was intending to lower the t4, shouldn't take long but I'm happy to show others when I do it.

I can do pretty much anything mechanical or electrical.

My work with Bull Terrier charity keeps me busy but I do have a calendar with all dates on, but am happy to help out when I can.

I work in Newton Abbot where we have powder coasters and laser cutters so am pretty useful too.

I can use a BBQ too.

#11 ·
OK now for the detail.. dates anyone? Weekend days are good but intrusive, evenings are numerous but dark at the moment..
To start the ball rolling my suggestion is a Sunday per month until perhaps April then review it for a weekday evening, the restraint being times... ie why were you late for work, answer we were stripping down a T4 charging system until the birds were singing... was it faulty? um no but it was really interesting T:

what days can we make, what days cant we? eg I am in the fortunate position of working late most friday nights to pay the finance on my motorbike

#20 ·
Wicked jonny
I look forward to it!!

If you every fancy a cruise east, I work for the local council and sure I can sort out so free parking for a day in lyme! And another though we have a great folk festival and it would be gret to get the local vw van guys down!! Looking forward to the meets and hopefully make it in February!!

#21 ·
That would be brilliant T:
I am looking for ideas for the march meet and did think about Lyme as there's fossil hunting for the kids but wasn't to sure about parking or a place to get in doors for a cuppa if the weather wasn't great :* maybe you could send me over some ideas to look up online and if we can come up with a winning formula the Wife and I will have a drive down to do a reccy and to meet you early in Feb T:

#22 ·
I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea! I'm a total newbie to the scene as is my van. Only picked her up Saturday but intend to get out there and get cracking with the build! My van is a 2000 2.5 tdi 88 bhp a few dents and things that need sorting but otherwise sound. Will be kitting out the back with electrics, cabinets, rock'n'roll bed and the like also. I'm a car mechanic and MOT tester by trade so can always lend a hand with the greasy oily bits!

#27 ·
Is anyone up for lowering a t4 at the first workshop meet? Apparently it's pretty easy T: It will be on jobs van and he has the springs ready to go so just need to sort the volunteers and the date. Also if your planning on lowering your t4 I can fit 2 on the drive in front of the workshop so we could try and squeeze another in T:

I think for this meet it will have to be a week night for me to fit it in during February so does anyone else out there have a t4 they want to lower?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.