VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( When we bought our van, day 2 the driveshaft when caput, as the bolts weren't tightened properly. Just before the bolt(s) came off, they were knocking rather loudly, but not for long before they came out. That sounded like the front passenger side, as the recovery man confirmed, he had a look and pointed out the loose bolts.

Now, van "fixed", we have a very similar sound, but this time coming from the front drivers side. It seems to get loud (or more audible mabye?)the slower I go, and I think seems worse when i steer slightly to the left. Also, possibly worse when the clutch is in? (as in, disengaging the gears)

I know nothing about anything, and cant get it fixed now until next week, when the garage will once again take it in. My concern is, I need to carry on using it before then to get to work.. Is this dangerous?!!

Obviously I won't hold people accountable if they say no you'll be fine and then the wheel falls off!

So far, I've looked at the bolts the recovery guy showed us and they seem tight (on both sides - assuming I am looking at the same/correct thing!)

But for a non-mechanical person like myself, is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem or rule out possible deathtraps?

thank you and apologies for the long post..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry to bump my own thread, but I've been trying to have a good ol listen to hte knocking and I think it's getting louder :eek: luckily it's going in to the doctor on monday (should have been last monday :rolleyes:)

It seems to stop when I press the brake, so could it be something to do with the brake callipers etc?

many thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, again i apologise for bumping my own thread but right now i am pretty :* off

I have just had the van delivered to me over a week late, and and the noise is STILL THERE.
The garage were fixing a whole host of issues and they said they had fixed the knocking. clearly they haven't as it's exactly the same.
Self diagnosis might be in order, so I am pleading for help..

The noise is louder when I do about 10 - 15 mph, if I brake or accelerate, it stops for a few seconds and then starts again.

it sounds like this
dag dag dag dag dag dag dag dag dag dag :rolleyes: if you say it out loud you'll know the noise.

It sounds like metal clanging on metal, solid metal, not like sheet metal, more like a rod catching on something.

I can feel the clang through the pedal a little, i think it's vibrating through as apposed to being directly knocked.

Please please help :(:(:(

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
my guesses would be

the exhaust down pipe hitting the anti roll bar ( check behind engine to see theres any contact )

front wheels are loose ( jack up and give the wheels a wobble )

C.V joint worn ( does it get louder when turning )

other drive shaft bolts loose

wheel bolts to long

wheel catching brakes or suspension

but chould be many other things

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my guesses would be

the exhaust down pipe hitting the anti roll bar ( check behind engine to see theres any contact )

wheel bolts to long

brilliant, thanks, i will check all of those., although it doesnt seem to get louder when turning it seems to happen more when steering left and the cv joint should have been fixed.

thank you

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
my guesses would be

wheel bolts to long

,,i"ll second the loose wheel theory i felt a right wally taking the OS CV joint back came to do the job & all 5 wheel bolts were finger tight:eek:it gave the exact signs the Cv joint was U/S so since then my snapon breaking bar & torque wrench is kept in the van,,,when i got some tyres fitted at local garage/tyre place he said "You Must" recheck them 2 months later :eek::eek::eek:,,,hope this helps mateT:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok hopefully something as simple as that. thank you
I hate the idea that this might be "one" of those vans that has problem after problem. Heres to hoping it's notT:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys
Just had a look under man van and I think I might have found the/a problem

Hopefully these photos make sense (apologies for the rubbishness, this was with my phone without seeing what I was doing .. they are on the drivers side off of the front wheel going towards the centre of the van. I think this connected to the drive shaft?

Anyway this cover is loose, could be the knocking as it's about the right area.

How do I attach it? I tried just stretching it over and ended up covered in oil all over my hands and made no difference! Does it something need to be unscrewed etc.?

Many many thanks yet againI:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
You need to replace the driveshaft gaitor as it has split, or get someone to do it for you. Make sure there's no damage to the cv joint that it protects.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
the drivesahaft gator as you say has come off but this would not cause a knocking sound ?? the knocking sound will as said by others come from the drivesaft cv joint being dry of gease which then causes wear,if the garage were supposed to have fixed the knocking shafts the 1st time what exactly did they do ???pull the gator back and fill it with grease so that it would be quiet for a week ???

the only sure way to stop the knocking will be either replace the inner cv joint or replace the driveshaft ???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input guys - sorted as a result!
the first garage (the people we bought it from) said they had not heard or found a knocking noise, so I took to a trustworthy garage and they replaced the inner and outter boots, filled with grease and said that was causing the knocking. No suprise, knocking gone :ILU:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts