VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Please forgive my ignorance but what kind of things will a diagnostic tell you?

I have a 98 1.9TD with 225000 miles on the clock. Every morning when i start the engine i get a flume of white smoke and engine runs lumpy unless cold start is pulled out (smokes even with cold start out) The white smoke goes away after the van has warmed up and driven a bit. Would a diagnostic test be able to tell me whats wrong?

Cheers

Stephen

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi, Please forgive my ignorance but what kind of things will a diagnostic tell you?

I have a 98 1.9TD with 225000 miles on the clock. Every morning when i start the engine i get a flume of white smoke and engine runs lumpy unless cold start is pulled out (smokes even with cold start out) The white smoke goes away after the van has warmed up and driven a bit. Would a diagnostic test be able to tell me whats wrong?

Cheers

Stephen
No it won't mate you don't have an ECU to communicate with.
Your problem could be pump timing or worn old injectors.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine was similar when i bought it. Fitted new glow plugs and its been fine since.T:
Don't think the diagnostics port on the 1.9td does anything really with regard to engine diagnostics because the td model doesn't have an ECU. I found this out after a VW garage tried testing my van, they didn't get any readings and still charged me for it:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts