VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd finally start a build thread 2 and a half years later,I'll start with him name, called him Dave after my late father who unfortunately lost his battle with cancer aged 62,my father got me into modifying cars as he was very much into his Austin mini vans back in the day so I thought it would be fitting to name the van after him, later became diesel Dave after the engine transplant, when I bought the van it was a 2.0 petrol, 117,000 miles on the clock, 6 seater, on the log book it's a caravelle but the only thing left of the interior was the seats, all the interior panels had been ply lined as some point in its life, previous owner had it resprayed porsche lava orange, looks good in the photos but if I'm being honest there are a few imperfections in the paint work when you get up close, first couple of mods when I got it was wind deflectors, windows + bonnet, fly eyes on the headlights(shortly after fitted a headlight loom after experiencing the candle like performance of the standard lights!), a wheel swap to 17x8 alloys and some sidebars T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After just under a year was dropping the kids to school one day, came back and saw a small pool under the van, straight to my mates garage, up on the lift and got the great news that the head gasket had gone! Chucked some head gasket sealer through and it did last a couple of months then 40 miles from home coming up to a roundabout saw steam pouring out from under the bonnet, pulled over, coolant pouring out, engine cooked, joy!! Was originally looking into the golf mk3 petrol conversion but my t4 wheeler dealer mate was stripping a t4 with a 2.4 diesel engine at the time and talked me into buying the engine and all ancillaries for £400 so bit the bullet and converted it to diesel, ended up costing me 2k all in as engine swaps are way above my ability, 6 months later I did the turbo conversion myself, had the garage put in a lower 5th gear and fitted a couple of guages, touch wood the engine has been good as gold since T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up was a front seat swap, ebay special, alpha romeo electric seats already fitted to t4 bases, £60 half an hrs drive away, sold T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After having the van a while now decided it was time to use the van for what I intended buying it for, to go camping, on a budget that is! I made a folding wooden bed base that sat over the top of the rear seat folded down, air bed on top, made some home made blackout blinds for the rear windows(with the help of my mother) took off all the interior panels to see the alegerd insulation that had been done before I bought it, ripped out all the rock wool and the 4 small strips of bubble wrap(why only 4 I don't know!) and with the help of my 8 year old boy re-did every panel with sound deadening, recycled bottle insulation and bubble wrap, bought a second hand kyham motor dome awning with extra add on room plus bought all the basic camping gear, stove, Keele, cool box etc and we were off T:

Photo of the first trip we ever did, just me and the other half, night off from parental duties! Which doesn't happen very oftenT:

A few pics away with the family T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next job was to recover the cab headlining as it was grey and stained so recovered it in black cloth then got carried away and decided to recover the rear roof as the faux leather type material that was fitted had all sagged, added some LED lights in addition to the round downlights that were fitted, in hindsight should of bought LED's with a dimmer as their a bit bright!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Next up was another of my wheeler dealer mates deals, he had bought another t4 to strip and it had come with a set of banded steels in the back so I had the wheels with nearly new tyres for £250,too good to say no, 16" 9j front, 10j rear, they were bright blue so had them sand blasted and powder coated matt black, I've since fitted a 60mm door wedge as the sliding door was catching on the wheel, I'm on my third set of springs by this point, started on 60mm then went to 40mm,added 10mm lowering plates as was too high and currently on 80mm,not the best ride but it does look good T:

This is the height it is now

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most recent thing I've done is a dashboard refurb as it had been painted black in the past but had mega peel going on so decided the easiest way to do it was dashboard out and finished it off with a mountney steering wheel and some white dials T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's it so far, not much planned over the winter as the house is currently for sale as we've seriously out grown it and the missis is desperate for something bigger and as they say 'happy wife happy life', but as soon as we've moved the plan is rust repair and a colour change, my best mate owns a body shop so he is going to tutor me in the skill of body repairs so hopefully I'll be able to do most of the prep work myself and he will spray it for me as a favour, my current thoughts are a military colour and an offroad/syncro style look although that idea could well change, just to add thanks to all on here that have helped me over the last couple of years, without the forum I wouldn't of even attempted half the jobs I've done T:T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great, well done.

What did you use for the bed? I have a T4 Caravelle and want to sort some sleeping arrangements out.

Cheers. T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a sheet of wood(6fx5f) from the local timber merchants,cut it into 3 pieces,put hinges on and bought some adjustable screw in table legs and cut them to size,so the middle piece sits on the folded down seat and the other 2 pieces use the legs to support them,if I unscrew the front legs it folds up behind the rear seat when not in use,cost about £40,when I made it I wasn't quite sure how long it would last but a year and a half later it's still going strong T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Early Christmas present for myself today,wheel colour change,did all the prep work myself but wasn't brave enough to do the spraying,got my sprayer mate to do it,he only charged me £20 as I've been helping him renovate his kitchen so can't complain and money well spent in my opinion for a professional finish,I guess I would call the colour primer grey,I'm not 100% about the grey and orange but I'm painting the van in spring/summer so it should match better with the new van colour,think I need to get some centre caps next to hide the bolts,couldn't really notice them to much whilst they were black

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Alex,
Post 4 Lighthouse shot looks like Strumble Head, seems you missed the sunset that day but great coastal walks around there.
Most locations down towards St Davids are nice especially out of season.
When I first visited (before the first Severn Bridge was opened) you could spend a fortnight on the beach and not see anyone else.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes stumble head,well spotted,some great locations down here in Pembrokeshire,Caerfai Bay is one of my favourite spots up st David's way, I do like going camping out of season,most of the time you have the place to yourself,summer time is crowded to say the least!T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
New gear stick extension today, 23"! A little taller then I expected but hay ho, it's surprisingly easy to change gear with although impossible to change if you hold onto the knob, I've found you have to grab the shaft a bit lower downLOL:, the missis hates it, my 9 year old boy thinks it's the best thing he's ever seen T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Project swamper/syncro look has begun, bought some t5 caravelle rear springs a while back so decided to have a test of the ride difference before committing to buying bigger tyres(all 4 are due a change) and I have to say omg! what a difference going from lowered 80mm to lifted,I have to go over about 10 speed bump square things to get anywhere from my house,I previously had to slow to a crawl,now they hardly feel like their thereT: No more dodging pot holes for me, the front still needs to go up a bit more but I just smashed my thumb:eek: so I'll finish later this week. I've narrowed the colour change to two colour's,NATO green or battle ship grey,leaning towards grey, so tyres will be on order this week,I was going to get all terrain for the look but in reality 99.9% of my driving is on roads so can't honestly say I need all terrains so I will just go for the chunky road tyres look then the summer job is bodywork and colour change T:

First pic is how low it was before compared to new height

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fitted an L200 intercooler over the last couple of night which I bought off another member at a very reasonable price, thanks again M7R, much appreciated. I got the intercooler fitted but it wasn't sitting right so after some head scratching I figured out I must of refitted the oil filler pipe at the wrong angle after the turbo conversion so altered the angle and the cooler slotted in nicely, just got to bolt the brackets to the van and it's all done, I've upped the boost to 1 bar and altered the fuel screw again, definitely another increase in power, nothing massive but definitely felt more torque on some of the longer incline hills, next few jobs are a new drive belt tensioner and some new drive shafts then I think I'm pretty much sorted mechanically, onto body work then! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've also given up on the big stick, it is just not practical to drive with so back to the normal extension T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,467 Posts
I just love plump tyres on a T4 :D

And yes, the ride quality is so different than the low profile tyres, I did just like you .............. started low ( not knowing anything! I: ) and progressed to nice plump tyres on smaller rims T:

Pot-holes ................... what pot-holes!!! LOL:

TURK

1 - 20 of 37 Posts