VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many people are noticing how much European governments are going on an all out attack on diesel engines? After years of encouraging us to buy a diesel vehicle they are now the scourge of our society.
What with the price of diesel rocketing above unleaded (even more so since the recent drop in the cost of crude oil) and cities across Europe planning on banning diesel vehicles. Is there a future for our beloved diesel T4's on our roads?
Is anyone else considering converting to petrol in the near future? I certainly am!
Time to keep my eye out on a 1.8 20v Turbo me thinks I:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It was announced in the press this last week that all the major car manufacturers are getting together to reverse the demonisation of the diesel engine.

'bout time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bloody hope so too! It is going to take some serious pressure from the big players in the car industry to stop these governments taking away our basic pleasures.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm not worried living out in the sticks, but if I was in a city (or travelled into one a lot) I might be more concerned as that's where the pollution problems have been picked up on and they're laying on the guilt trip to diesel drivers. So what about the millions of commercial vehicles and lorries delivering goods that are diesel (and they have to get into cities and towns)? They can't get rid of diesel altogether if that's somehow the plan...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What they seem to be doing is pushing the cost of diesel up on a regular basis so that it won't become cost effective to own one. I reckon there must be a real surplus of petrol in circulatio, isn't diesel cheaper to produce than petrol? I thought that it was a byproduct of petrol anyway?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Everything about engine design is really being driven by the emissions regulations which are utter loblocks.

Once they get back to the real world diesel will be better placed.

And cars won't be any dirtier, either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I work for a well known vehicle manufacturer. the diesel engines and emissions related gubbins that will be fitted to diesels in the near future will be bringing the levels to an all time low with virtually fresh'ish air finally reaching the tailpipes....that's after all the exhaust gasses have been treated to all kinds of niceties through various systems that will soon be making diesel engines even cleaner and with lower emissions that the petrol equivalents.....

the future for diesels is still long and bright....but for our t4's chuffers...:*....we could always fit aftermarket dpf's and urea tanks too.....:eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
that's pretty much what it is.....a chemical substitute for p....s..!! that filters out emmisions in a fashion...no joke either :eek:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I work for a well known vehicle manufacturer. the diesel engines and emissions related gubbins that will be fitted to diesels in the near future will be bringing the levels to an all time low with virtually fresh'ish air finally reaching the tailpipes....that's after all the exhaust gasses have been treated to all kinds of niceties through various systems that will soon be making diesel engines even cleaner and with lower emissions that the petrol equivalents.....

the future for diesels is still long and bright....but for our t4's chuffers...:*....we could always fit aftermarket dpf's and urea tanks too.....:eek:

All that stuff just adds weight and complexity and is only used because the vehicle has to comply with really stupid emissions regulations.

What we really want is real world really efficient engines.

Really.

·
Registered
128 Posts
diesel electric hybrids are moving on fast now too......and full electric vehicle have and still are improving and under further development too...so love or hate them.....the future will be very ....very quite !!..:*

·
Registered
221 Posts

You mean, to replace all those DPFs which many van owners have been removing? I:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts