VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I want to fit a diesel heater to my T4 which has already had camper conversion but without heat (Brrr!).
I have read a few threads about Webasto air top and eberspacher units but not sure where best to mount the unit. Will external mount make less noise inside the van? This isn't a cheap option so I really want to get it right.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Hi, merry xmas!
It's always wise to plan theses things!
Folk generally opt for under the drivers seat, but, there are other options, I recently fitted a couple of heaters under the rock'n'roll bed, this easy access for maintenance, there is a little noice improvement fitting the heater externally but not much, personally I think the Webasto (later generatuion) are the quieter option, but, I'm sure people will have their own opinions!
Cheers Andy*<:)>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andy. I thought the Webasto looks like a good unit. I really regret that I didn't think about this option before I had the van converted. It would have been so much easier to plan where to fit it at that stage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, merry xmas!
It's always wise to plan theses things!
Folk generally opt for under the drivers seat, but, there are other options, I recently fitted a couple of heaters under the rock'n'roll bed, this easy access for maintenance, there is a little noice improvement fitting the heater externally but not much, personally I think the Webasto (later generatuion) are the quieter option, but, I'm sure people will have their own opinions!
Cheers Andy*<:)>
Hi Andy. Ive been reading a fair bit about webasto heating on this forum and as far as fitting is concerned in my ex aa van would like to fit it under the passanger seat but the larger fuel tank streches from one side to the other under the van and sooo would this be in the way or is there a workaround?

As i use this van as a camper and workvan i dont have any static units to fit unit under

Glad of any help mate :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've got the Eberspacher inside, under the driver's seat, which I find ideal, as it's tidy and out of the way.

It is a bit noisy on start up, but once it's at temperature and just clicking on and off with the thermostat I don't really notice it too much. I'm a very light sleeper at home and in the Velle I'm even worse, but it's the sort of noise that is fairly consistant, so I don't find it an issue. Let's face it being frozen solid wakes me up more and at least if I am only dosing I'm toasty warm!!

I really wouldn't be without it. It was the first thing I bought after the Velle itself and I did wonder about the cost/benefit, but I've never once regretted it.

T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reassuring me about the noise. I agree, freezing is not an option!!
I am opting for the Webasto Airtop and likely will fit under bed but if tight for fitting fuel and exhaust pipes in that location, we may resort to fitting under drivers seat. I agree it is a good use of that space.

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^ Sounds like a very wise plan, especially given the strange and extreme weather we seem to be having these days. Ironically I have used my heater as much in the summer months as the winter ones!!

I managed to buy my Eberspacher second hand and at a good price, so it was a bit of a no brainer for me, but buying new I have read a few reviews that have suggested the Webasto is the way to go! They are a big investment after buying the van, but I think they make it much more home from home.............snug as a bug!!

T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Satisfied I am going the right way with Webasto.
I think it's the best investment at this stage as we have had too many chilly nights at all times of year.
One less positive thing is that the company who did the camper conversion did a poor job on the leisure battery - mains hook up doesn't charge the "undersized" battery and the bits you don't see are messy!! It isn't going to cost much to bring it up to spec but a case of spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar.
You have to trust so called experts sometimes and having "workshop tour" features in popular magazines doesn't mean squat!
Regardless, I love my T4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for advice and comments guys.
Had Webasto fitted under bed. Fantastic! Very little noise and not intrusive. Best thing I've done!!!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Thanks for advice and comments guys.
Had Webasto fitted under bed. Fantastic! Very little noise and not intrusive. Best thing I've done!!!
Hi, I'm looking to do the same on my T4. Have you got any pics to show how you've got it in. Mines a syncro and its a little more fiddly to fit it up front so the back sounds a much more appealing option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to do the same on my T4. Have you got any pics to show how you've got it in. Mines a syncro and its a little more fiddly to fit it up front so the back sounds a much more appealing option.
I'd also like some advice on fitting a heater into my T4 as mine is a 1991 model and the fuel tank is under the front seats. Can't fit it under the bed as its a reimo bed that moves on rails like a Westy. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts