VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to fit diesel night heater. Under the van or under the driver's seat?

·
Registered
2011 Kombi Camper conv. T5.1 140
487 Posts
Under for me.been good for four years so far. Regarding noise you may be able to soundproof to some extent with proper fire / heat retardant materials.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine (Planar) is installed under the drivers seat and its not noisy as it’s only the fan, which I would suspect would be similar through the ducting if installed under the van?
The pump tick is the most noticeable but this is under the van near the diesel tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The pump tick is the most noticeable but this is under the van near the diesel tank.
I originally had the pump mounted on the chassis close to the heater and roughly under where my bed was fitted, found when I was laid in my bed I could here a constant "thumping" noise coming from the pump, was very irritating. Moved the pump up front to inside the engine bay and tapped diesel from the main fuel supply just after the filter, cured the "thumping" noise, don't hear a thing now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used a bit off Dodo Matt insulation between the pump bracket fixing and the chassis as a cushion and don’t notice the pump tick at all inside the van, it’s very subtle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Lofty - I have a planar fitted which works great but pump is quite loud - do you have a pic of your mod please?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Steve,
Not got any photos, just been out to try and see if I could take one but It means taking down the sill under trays and laying in a puddle as it’s been lashing down up here. Sorry but I’m not that committed to the cause😬.
It’s not really a mod I just used a 1” strip of dodo/foam doubled up and put the fixing bolt through it. Basically it’s a big padded foam washer between van chassis and the pump bracket to dampen/soften the acoustics from the pump fixing to the van.
I can still hear the pump tick but it’s softer and not thumping in the van.
I’ve seen pump jackets on eBay but don’t know how good they are.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Lofty - I'd forgotten it was behind the undertray! I'm trying to remember how it's mounted now - will drop the undertray when it's a bit drier and warmer👍👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts