VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten a 1991 1.9D T4, it's generally neglected, and I am going through overhauling everything I can think of. But how about the fuel injection pump & injectors?

How do I know if they are worn? I guess at this age it would benefit from a pro rebuilding them, but is this really worthwhile?

Also, can this be done DIY?

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
are you sure you want to "take care of her"?
a 1991 van is gonna have many hidden problems on top of the ones that you can see.

lets say you'll spend a lot of time and money to rebuild the fuel pump and injectors.....think around £350
then the ball joints will need replacing,
then the wheel bearings will need replacing,
then the suspensions need replacing,
then you'll run like Fred Flintstone with your feet through a rusted floor,
then you'll have a convertible van because the rust has eaten it....
and then after spending ££££££ you'll say....I fell in love with her, I can't let it go.....

I'll tell you what.....exploit her as much as you can, and when she won't want to work for you anymore, then divorce from her right away and get a younger one, which will give you unimaginable pleasures.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...I'll tell you what.....exploit her as much as you can, and when she won't want to work for you anymore, then divorce from her right away and get a younger one, which will give you unimaginable pleasures.....
That's funny.

But, anyway yes I am sure i want to look after her. rust isn't as big an issue down here as you Northern Europeans suffer, and there are some nice advantages to running old vans here (in 3 years, I get road tax exemption, cheap insurance and ITV (our equivalent to MoT tests) every 2 years, currently this is every 6 months.

I like the relative simplicity of my old van, and am so glad to have a computer free machine.

Depreciation and repairs on my previous van cost at least 1000€ a year too, so I think she makes economic sense. so without the rust issues I expect her to go on for at least another 10 years (possibly with an rebuilt/exchange gearbox).

I don't do a lot of mileage, nor do I need to drive fast, I just need a solid reliable van, and she seems to be just that.

·
6,678 Posts
We can help you.

Please send me a pm with your requirements and I am sure we can satisfy them at a very good price.

Thanks

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts