VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to all this.... Just got a 2006 T5 and there is a strong smell of diesel.

Garage says it's soot particles in the exhaust manifold and quoted over. £800 to replace the manifold.

Has anyone else had same ...similar problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you use the search function on here, or search google, then you will find that nobody has ever had diesel fumes in the cabin.I:

col.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I've currently got the same problem on my 2007 2.5tdi T5.

I found that their were 2 bolts sheared off to the right of the engine at the back where the exhaust manifold bolts to the engine.
I've been told that this is the cause of the fume smell in the cabin.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Get a bottle of almost empty washing up liquid, fill with warm water to give a weak soapy mixture. When engine is cold squirt soapy water on all exhaust bits you can see. If there is a leak loads of bubbles will be produced when u fire the engine up. If none can be found at first keep squirting because the gap might only be present when running hot (hot metal expands). Hope that helps find the leaking gasses mate.
I used this technique to find a pin hole in exhaust on a twin system that wasn't passing emissions test on the car. Welded it up and it passed.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
£800 seems a lot of money as manifolds are around £350 if a 5 pot..£450 can't be all labour do they must be factoring in stud replacement.. The axe/axd is a bit easier than the bpc/bnz in engine but can't comment on the 1.9

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi all, new to all this.... Just got a 2006 T5 and there is a strong smell of diesel.

Garage says it's soot particles in the exhaust manifold and quoted over. £800 to replace the manifold.

Has anyone else had same ...similar problems.

Thanks
Just to clarify - is it a diesel smell or exhaust fumes as all the answers so far are directed at exhaust gases in the cab?
I would go to another garage as soot particles are supposed to be in the exhaust manifold!:*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts