VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks,
I'm thinking of buying myself a T5 to convert. Can anyone help with the different models T28s, T30s, T32s etc? Are there different trim levels and accessory packs etc I need to be aware of? Ideally I'm hoping to get a 174bhp panel van (with or without side window) and mod it up as I go. Any advise is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
As said previously its simply the payload (actually, the maximum gross vehicle weight), nothing to do at all with engine size, trim levels, electric packs & so on.

Unless you want the heavier payload steer clear of the T32 - more diffecult to lower & less choice of wheels, also (some say) not all MOT testing stations can do the T32.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Stop bashing T32s! They're not difficult to lower, you just need to buy the right bits and its only T32 panel vans you need to worry about on MOTs. If you present a T32 for MOT with a conversion in the back (i.e. a passenger carrying van) then the tester should still test it as class 4. Worst case you need to go to a commercial garage for the MOT.

You dont want to buy a T26 or a T28 for a conversion. You'll leave yourself short of payload once all the cupboards and seats are fitted.

Just try to buy a clean van with factory windows as the bodywork is different on window vans, otherwise you need to trim around bare metal edges (there you go, I'm bashing panel vans now). In terms of load carrying for a camper then the T30 is a good compromise. Leccy windows and a tailgate with wiper rather than barn doors. Appearance pack is a bonus as that means posh bumpers, aircon is a bonus if you're driving in town traffic regularly but its not needed in the UK for a weekend camper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stop bashing T32s! They're not difficult to lower, you just need to buy the right bits and its only T32 panel vans you need to worry about on MOTs. If you present a T32 for MOT with a conversion in the back (i.e. a passenger carrying van) then the tester should still test it as class 4. Worst case you need to go to a commercial garage for the MOT.

You dont want to buy a T26 or a T28 for a conversion. You'll leave yourself short of payload once all the cupboards and seats are fitted.

Just try to buy a clean van with factory windows as the bodywork is different on window vans, otherwise you need to trim around bare metal edges (there you go, I'm bashing panel vans now). In terms of load carrying for a camper then the T30 is a good compromise. Leccy windows and a tailgate with wiper rather than barn doors. Appearance pack is a bonus as that means posh bumpers, aircon is a bonus if you're driving in town traffic regularly but its not needed in the UK for a weekend camper.
I have a 2007 T32 panel van and the 2 MOT'S it has had have been class 4, done at different testing stations. Is it down to the testers discretion?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh OK, maybe i don't need a T32 anyway but if the right comes along and it happens to be a T32 then........
What makes the suspension lowering and wheel selection different to the others anyone?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I have a 2007 T32 panel van and the 2 MOT'S it has had have been class 4, done at different testing stations. Is it down to the testers discretion?
Or maybe ignorance (maybe not in the "ignorant" sense though).

Just a thought - if a T32 Panel van should be a Class 7 (or whatever it should be), then does that make the vehicle technically not MOT'ed if done as a class 4 ?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Oh OK, maybe i don't need a T32 anyway but if the right comes along and it happens to be a T32 then........
What makes the suspension lowering and wheel selection different to the others anyone?
AFAIK the T26/28 & 30 can all use the same lowering kits - the T32 may need different parts - maybe a T32 owner with a lowered van can verify ?

Again AFAIK the T26/28 & 30's all start off with 16" wheels, the T32's start off with 17" because of the bigger brakes - if you want to go for big wheels then no problem here except for getting the correct load rating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
AFAIK the T26/28 & 30 can all use the same lowering kits - the T32 may need different parts - maybe a T32 owner with a lowered van can verify ?

Again AFAIK the T26/28 & 30's all start off with 16" wheels, the T32's start off with 17" because of the bigger brakes - if you want to go for big wheels then no problem here except for getting the correct load rating.

It seems not all T32's start off with 17" wheels, mine is on 16's:*

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
When you buy a set of lowering springs for a T5 the manufacturer (H+R on my T32) will offer a range of springs to match the load of the van, you just need to choose the correct load and the numbers are written on the plate under the bonnet so you have to do this process for any T5.

If you want to lower your van more than 40-60mm (40 in my case, it gives me plenty of ground clearance for getting onto campsites/fields etc) the you replace the front suspension struts completely with what we call "coilover" suspension units. Many companies supply these and you can get them really cheap for the T26, 28 and 30 models. The T32 models have a different front strut which is beefier than the one used on the lesser models and only a couple of suppliers sell them and they cost £1300 for the whole set. You occasionally find that T30s are fitted with the stronger T32 struts.

As far as wheels and tyres go, you need to ensure you get >103 rated tyres for the T32. This means I run a subtly different tyre than your average van, they cost about £20 a corner more. I use the old Sportline wheels as they're cheap and easy to source, even though the old Sportline was based on a T30 the wheels are massively overspecced so no problems. If you get a new T32 with the 180PS engine then you need the new Sportline wheels to clear the bigger brakes - the new Sportline comes as a T32 by the way.

The only old shape T32s with big brakes (and therefore 17" steel wheels) are the 174PS models, my 130 came with 16" wheels which look the same as all the other steel wheels but are actually a stronger version.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
It seems not all T32's start off with 17" wheels, mine is on 16's:*
The only old shape T32s with big brakes (and therefore 17" steel wheels) are the 174PS models, my 130 came with 16" wheels which look the same as all the other steel wheels but are actually a stronger version.
Thanks for the info' guys - now I know better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey i have just bought a t32 and was wondering if it was possible to fit the cheaper suspension if i wasn't carrying any weight in the van, as surely they are only beefed up to take the extra load.
Are the suspension fittings different or just not as big?

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
The front struts on a T32 are different but you can fit the T30 springs, its just the construction of the strut and how it mounts into the upright which changes. The rear is the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.