VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

we need your help because something weird just happend. We have a VW T4 (1997 caravelle) Karmann Colorado mobile home, and we bought this back in 2013. The digital odometer and clock displays didn't work back then. Last winter it was 5 months on 220 volts to have the battery's stay in charge. In april i took the camper out of its winter place and to my surprise the digital clocks were on T:

We we're so happy! During the first trips(like 300KM) it was still showing so that was great! But since last week it disappeared again :*
Do you guys have any idea where we have to look to fix this? Is there a separate battery in the back of the cluster that needs replacement? Or is there a fuse that is related to the digital displays?

Hope someone can help us any further, and thanks in advance! :ILU:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The image in the first post didn't work, so here's the photo from the surprise moment that it all the sudden worked

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
No extra battery, but take the dash panel out, un-plug the 2 connectors, pull on the loom for the 2 cables, and see if that fixes it.

I lose my fuel gauge every summer....doing the above cures it until next year.
Also, try some contact cleaner (NOT WD40!!!) on the 2 connectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Or_GazM,

thanks for your quick reply!
Sorry for asking, but does this mean i need to detach the whole dashboard or can i reach this from behind? When we get home from our current trip i will make some time to get this done.

Thanks again and i let you know the results.

P.s. great name BTW

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
Sorry for delay!
Remove the cowl from the steering column.
2 screws to take the panel surround out, and then 4? screws to remove the instruments.
Takes me about 15 mins each year to remove and refit.
Gaz (Gary Metcalfe...Gaz is short for Gary, Or_ is a long story!)

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,741 Posts
un-plug the 2 connectors, pull on the loom for the 2 cables, Also, try some contact cleaner (NOT WD40!!!) on the 2 connectors.
We have a VW T4 (1997 caravelle)
'97 will be single plug on rear left (above clustch pedal) of cluster, '99 on is twin loom plug??

As to contact cleaners, agreed, but definitely not wdT:

Also, on the 'mid-age' or '96-'99 era tdi clusters there's a common issue with the lcd's dying, also can loose revcounter & speedo :*
Seems to be mostly terminal & replacement clusters can be an issue to scource :(

Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts