VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone updated to a T5 from a T4 and then regretted it, prefering the T4 and gone back to one again?

The reason I ask is I'm in a bit of a dilema. I bought my V reg Ex AA about a year ago. We get on just fine and over the course of the year I've spent a fair bit of £££ and time improving it, but looming are a few expensive repairs.
The flywheel, clutch, timing belts, all brake discs and pads are reaching the point where they could do with replacing. I'm guessing even if I do all the work myself on my drive, I'm looking at around £700 for parts and a fair few hours probaly days of knuckle bashing. Then there's the bodywork. That could do with de-greening, my tailgate's a different colour and maybe colour coding the mirrors and bumpers too. £500??
Like I said, the van and I get on just fine. It deals with every situation I throw at it. From heavy towing, mountain biking trips, carting people around through to just popping down the shops. But I can't help think that an early 102 T5, taking into account all the £££ I'd have to spend on the above isn't that much further out of reach.

What to do. Sell the T4 and put the money to a T5 and start again, or sort the T4 out and carry on?

Help. :confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go T5!

I did, and it's better in every way. Can't think of any reasons why I'd possibly want my T4 back other than it was a lot scruffier and I cared less when it got knocked in car parks etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Would have to disagree, put up with my T5 for six months and now much preferring my T4. Much nicer to drive, seems more solid - less rattles, easier to fix (not too technical) so cheaper to maintain, drives more like a car than a van. I guess it's a personal thing, you could do with taking a good long drive in a T5 and hoping nothing too techincal goes wrong with it if you take the plunge. Happy dubbing. :)

Claire

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Sold my T4 and ummed and arred for ages what to get....just couldn't find a T5 for the right price and spec..also heard so many stories about silly faults which shouldn't really happen to a more advanced van compared to the T4..

in the end found a great T4, ticked all the boxes I had and am well happy staying 4...next van who knows..:confused:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll add my 2p's worth and possibly bad analagy

It's like a golf, The Mk 1 is stunning, no argument, but the new golfs!, well some just look, well nuff said.

But when I had my Mk1's and Mk2 GTis, I never liked the Mk3, it just looked too new and had not been around long enough to appreciate into something (I like them now), the T4 just has that dare I say becoming classic style, partially as it is out of production, whereas the T5 has not reached that yet it just looks too new and rarely unless you spend a small mortgage on a set of :* alloys, side bars, respray etc does it look anything more than a from the forecourt van, albeit a nice one. Its a battle between modern day luxury and style.

Spend the extra on a late 2.5 03 T4, add some Saab Leather 9-5 seats, air-con, etc etc.

Sorry for the Rant :ILU:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I drove a T5 for 8 months, never really liked it, less MPG from the T5, more power then the T4, I don't drive fast any way, and it just didn't feel comfortable, I think the T4 has much more character.

A big put off for me is that some of the Jap imports, bongo's and the like have the look of the T5 when coming towards you at a distance, or maybe that's just my deteriorating eye sight :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
there's a taxi company near here who have a T4, it's done over a million miles. they service it every week. never had any problems. they bought a T5 as a second vehicle and it broke down within half a year.

there's a guy, an old guy, who works at the local garage to me, they specialize in mending VW's. he's been working on VW's since 1945. he reckons the T4 is the last good engine that's come from VW. he was saying he'd rather have a T4 that's done 50k than a brand new T5. he had nothing but disdain for 'em!

that's my tuppence worth to the argument...

that and the fact T4's look better.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I have an Ex AA 102bhp. At work we have a T5 sportline lwb. I have driven it for a distance & I would say that the T5 is quieter & quicker than my unchipped t4. I prefer my T4. It just feels like it has more character. Mind you, I do have first refusal on it when the director sells it :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ah what a great thread. Jut sold my T4 and contemplating a T5 next March when the finance on the Fox runs out (dont ask, partners car I:) I would love a T4 again but the partner ...by the way his name is Alan :) likes the hassle free lifestyle and the reliability of a new van with a warranty. So unless I can get my hands on a new T4 :*. I looks like it’s a T5.

But i dont like the way you cant customize it as much.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Our local VW centre doesn't think much of the T5's, and they've been fixing vw's for a long time.They like my petrol T4 though T:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
arent t5s built in a different country to t4s and all the other vws i no the build quality is no were near as good as the t4s plus they dont look or have as much character as the t4 plus if you buy a t5 you going to loose alot of money in depreseation with a t4 i recone they will start going up in value soon T:

go t4

·
Registered
396 Posts
Im on the t4 waggon too
yes the t5 is smoother and a bit tighter to drive but thats it and ive had 2 x200 hp ones and 3 standard ones and still now back on t4s its the age thing i do agree with the pricing as most t4 s are up 10% from last year and you cant say that about t5s

ive spent 10sof thousands on vans and motors and still to this day enjoy getting in my 150ooo miles t4

just wish you could get a reliable split screen with heating then id go old skool. (been there but didnt like the sat on hard shoulder all the time)

I do love the t5 as a people carrier and the exclusive caravelle is very nice to be in and even the california is a sweet camper but ok if you have a spare 30plus grand for a spare motor.

:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
there's a guy, an old guy, who works at the local garage to me, they specialize in mending VW's. he's been working on VW's since 1945. he reckons the T4 is the last good engine that's come from VW. he was saying he'd rather have a T4 that's done 50k than a brand new T5. he had nothing but disdain for 'em!
Theres a guy works down the chip shop swears hes Elvis.
I got a T4 and a T5 i like driving the T4 best :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a T4 and T5 both 1.9 SWB. The T4 has character the T5 is tinny compared but really it is like comparing two completely different animals. If I could swap my 4 year old 14K miles T5 for a 4 year old 14K T4 I would jump at it.
pete

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
I spoke to an AA guy last month, and he said he would have the T4 over the T5 anyday. He had gone through 3 turbos in his T5 in a year all under warranty presumably. He thought they turbo in the T5 is french made... Hitler would turn in his grave! I:

I wouldn't have a T5 out of warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting..mo info like this please.

I want another T4 but the partner wants a T5 and hes the one thats going to be using it the most. Any info i can use to chang is mind is good!!!A:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for all the comments so far. Keep em coming, really interesing! T:

There's still alot of support for the 4s. It seems 5s have a lot of silly premiture faults with an accountants idea of build quality thrown in. I wonder if the same sort of conversations were being had when those with T3s were thinking of getting a then current T4.

Vented: I can relate to the Golf thing. I'm normaly dismissive of newer stuff aswell. I only seem to get interested when it's aged a bit.

siwilkie: I can also relate to the spending £££££s on motors and enjoying driving the T4 about just as much. I've a 911 Turbo I walk past every time I jump in the 4, alot of people who know me don't understand, until I take them for a spin in the bus that is. :D

Personaly, I don't feel I'm missing out as much now. I'm getting more and more inclined to visit the motor factors. :)

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
I went from 77bhp T4 2.4D 138k to brand new 174bhp T5 Caravelle last may ....
22k later and the novelty has worn off the T5, dont get me wrong its a joy to drive but build qulaity is poor, bits of inner and outer trim have fell off,theres an issue with water ingress on the sun blinds in back.
The gearbox keeps tightening up intermitently
The T5 has issues and i dread to think when my warrenty up in 2 years what repair work will cost if something goes pop :eek:

Coming from an aircooled background i like something with a bit of feel to it and the T5 aint got that so.........im on hunt for T4 again ;)

I'll keep T5 for a while until i land right T4

:ILU:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts