VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys im facing a huge dilemma and the clocks ticking fast!

To sell, TDI, or keep as is..

Iv got a 1995 VW T4 1.9D i finished kitting out the inside last year and use it for my hobbies MTBing and kayaking aswell as having it handy to kip in at work should i need too, my Missus likes the van but hates driving it. We also own a VW Vento 1.9TDI which is due MOT and tax at the end of this month it runs like a dream with 220K on the clock full vw service history but has serious tin worm.

I cant make up my mind what the best thing to do is as we are expecting our first baby dubber in summer and financially things will need to tighten up to add to it we are renovating our first home undergoing extensive work.

I love the van but its getting rusty arches after i foolishly bought it off a guy straight after a respray it looked mint but is now showing rust in places, i commute 90 miles a day and the 1.9D is painful!! Im almost to scared to attempt the conversion in fear of loosing all transport, and really unsure if i should sell both by a car until the child is a couple years old and buy another T4...

I cant come to a straight decision can any one offer sensible advice and put some light on the situation? :confused:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
When little one comes your hobbies will be out the Window anyway.

Depends on finances if can keep it cool but if. Keeping it you won't have the spare cash to use it pointless.

Sell and get her indoors New motor and slam the Vento and rat look for yourself

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When little one comes your hobbies will be out the Window anyway.

Depends on finances if can keep it cool but if. Keeping it you won't have the spare cash to use it pointless.

Sell and get her indoors New motor and slam the Vento and rat look for yourself
Thanks Paul reading that made me want to take a trip to the pub, if i lost my hobbies id be a different character i accept il have new priorities so will have to reduce how much time i spend biking/kayaking. I can keep the van, but its going to be a painful commute. the Vento is already ratty theres nothing holding it together its soo rusty hence the mot time at the end of the month being the deadline to decide what to do, mechanically its truely a pleasure to drive but its very rust ridden!

appreciate the view mate

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Ok , so you know you will have to get another car , anyway . I found trying to have insurance on a car , and my van , was crippling , so I had my van renovated on what I would otherwise have paid to insure a car ..!! (driven van so long , no NCD for car ..!!) You know the van is an appreciating asset , and to buy another in future would be not easy . Within your budget , would it be an option for you to reserve the van as purely a hobby/leisure vehicle , (giving you time to work on it ) , and maybe use it a couple of days a week for your commute , or is it essential your loved one has a car at disposal whilst you are working ?? Your new arrival will change some aspects of life , for some time , so you may be able to work with a car / two wheel combo , or two smaller cars , for a time ?? Just use one as a commute hack ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Grey and Grumpy, We could live with just 1 vehicle although it would be tricky as i work miles away, so if shes at home and wants to go shopping or something it will be all public transport which is less than ideal with a new born. the ticking clock really is the vento do i a) put it through an MOT at a fair expense i can do all mechanicals myself apart from welding. B) Sell it to someone for a tdi conversion for their van. C) Attempt the Tdi on the van meaning we have one vehicle which is capable of commuting thanks to the new tdi power and making it more bareable as a day to day drive? 0r D) buy another car, take both vento and van off the road combine them both to make a TDI T4 use the car as a daily driver meaning i can take my time not fear if i dont get it right first time.

Ideally i think D is my best option?

Your right though the van now kitted out in the back exactly how i want it for my hobbies seems such a shame to sell it for a measly 3 and a bit grand if im lucky :( being the less desirable 1.9D with a lil rust coming through i may be lucky to even get tht i dont no.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Obviously , no-one but you know what can/will work , but there is going to be a change in your life , whether you like it , or not ..!! Many folk now live in areas where you can shop at night , or early . If you can compromise , and have one car , fine ..!! Barring emergencies , it could work for you .. Have a rota system ... you have th car ..X days a week , I have it Y days a week ..?? that way , you can both benefit ..?? O . we pay dearly for those moments of pleasure ...!!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
"When little one comes your hobbies will be out the Window anyway. "
why? we hardly changed our hobbies & way of life, we incorporated the kids in with them
doesn't need to cost a lot more either if you're sensible, lots of A1 hardly used s/h stuff around, esp baby items, that people need rid of, & can put the money saved to better use.
we never spoiled ours & they our probably turned out better for it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If money is OK to get another cheap car this month then if it was me I'd do option D - buy another car, take vento off the road and get it's engine wacked in the van that you love. Just depends if you can afford the conversion (if someone's fitting TDI in for you that is, but you already have a good engine so it should be reasonable). If the car you buy to fill the gap is a little cheap as chips shopping cart then as long as your van is completed quickly you'll only have to do your long commute for a short while in it, then can go back to TDI van while your wife keeps the shopping cart for little trips. But these are only our opinions, it's a case of doing what feels best for all (3) of you. It sounds like you would resent getting rid of your home made van to me, so although parenthood means far less time for yourself, at least the little time you can grab would be quality time with your van for kayaking/biking. A happy daddy is better. I think it may be harder later to find/buy/afford a suitable t4 (doubt they will get cheaper) when you want to get out there again later for hobbies with or without child in tow. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
...sounds like both vehicles are going to need time and money spent on them, both of which you will be short of, to start with, anyway. So sell them both, and stick with a car between you - in the short term, you'll have more than enough to worry about without fiddling about with motors.
...and if you're looking for a reasonable car, why couldn't it be a reasonable van, I'm sure forum members could help in finding one.
Just my opinions !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts