VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an elderly petrol/LPG T4 and I am convinced there is dirt and/or rust sloshing about in the tank (it cuts out intermittently on petrol when slowing down). If I pull out the fuel pump by removing passenger seat etc. is there then enough room to clean the inside of the tank or do I need to remove the tank completely?

I know taking the tank off would mean a much better job but I just want to know if access is possible just by going in from above. There's a good chance the fixing will be badly rusted so taking the tank off completely is a much bigger job.

Screwd.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you dont already have one , fit an in-line fuel filter , cheap and effective . Have a spare , so if it does get crudded up you can change it again . The,yr cheap enough .

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Reckon you have , in some ways , answered your own question .. Its a PIA to remove a fuel tank , empty it , and clean it out ..!! You cant do it in situ . I,ve done it on vintage motorbikes , and they are easy , in comparison ..!! Its far easier to put a filter in , first , to see if your suspicions are correct . The symptoms you describe are similar to those I had years ago , when I had water contamination in the tank on a petrol vehicle , once I cleaned the carb. bowls of water , put filter on , and changed it a few times , as it got the water out , I had no further problems . Confirm your suspicions first , and a filter will help you do that .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. I always wondered what that empty hole was under the battery!

This is a cheap LPG converted van and there's no inline filter fitted!

Doh!

Screwd!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Fingers crossed for you !! I would , at some stage , though , fit an in-line filter ...you never know when you may be glad of it !! Its not as if they,re the size a diesel filter ..!! Its only a clear tube , about 3inch long , and 1.5 inch wide , with filter inside ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. I am struggling to find the fuel pipe! It's a very haphazard LPG conversion and a quick look yesterday gave no clues. I should probably pull the sender unit for a clean but all the signs are it was an intermittent electrical issue. Still not driven yet.

The van does have the same hole in the front chassis to drop a filter into but I assume the big filter that Halfords stock is for diesel engines - the one with the second plastic widget that clips onto the top of the filter.

I will be taking it out for a test spin today and will report back with the result.

Screwd.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The result of my negative test was negative.

It didn't die when slowing down, didn't falter when it switched to idle, didn't stall etc.

Just soldering those pins on really 30 seems to have fixed the issue which I would have expected to have experienced in the last journey.

Course, it only needs to happen again once for me to start chasing my tail again. Fingers crossed.

S.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
AAhh , the joys of T4 ownership ..!! Hope it sorts it for you , Stick an in-line petrol filter on , asap , for peace of mind on that side ..!! Good luck , and happy motoring ..

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Thanks again. I am struggling to find the fuel pipe! It's a very haphazard LPG conversion and a quick look yesterday gave no clues. I should probably pull the sender unit for a clean but all the signs are it was an intermittent electrical issue. Still not driven yet.
The haphazardness of the LPG conversion should have no impact to dirt in the petrol tank. Theres should be a petrol filter fitted to the van as standard, iirc its underneath, near the steering rack, on the passenger side of the exhaust pipe. You should probably replace it.

BTW, I agree with your diagnosis about it being an electrical issue, I've had a clogged in-tank filter on an old VW before, but that would only manifest itself at WOT/hard driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts