VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they VW diesel engines have a fuel cut off solenoid like Land Rovers?

My old Land Rover was modified with a simple in-line switch which stopped the fuel cut of solenoid activating resulting in no fuel flow to the engine. The hidden switch was simply flicked over to reactivate. Not hi tech but slowed thieves down.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
From 95 on they have a factory immobiliser that works in this way. Transponder chip in the key read by a coil around he barrel. No chip no start.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From 95 on they have a factory immobiliser that works in this way. Transponder chip in the key read by a coil around he barrel. No chip no start.
So to satisfy insurance requirement of 'must have alarm and immobiliser fitted or not covered' a 1998 van should have a factory fit immobiliser. I'll just need to add an alarm then.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
My 95 won't start with out the main key as I had a key cut to get me in as I keep locking the sliding door then putting keys down to get kids out and bam the door shuts locked out , I found out one day the van would not start and it was coz I was using the new cut key with out a chip :)

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
So to satisfy insurance requirement of 'must have alarm and immobiliser fitted or not covered' a 1998 van should have a factory fit immobiliser. I'll just need to add an alarm then.
no the t4 does not have a insurance approved immoboliser apart from a very few made in the last 6mth of 2003
so beware what you have fitted
your current insurer may say any alarm but as we all know we all shop around due to the silly prices we get thrown at us come renewal time
T:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My insurance company LV rang me back today to confirm if an alarm and immobiliser are fitted to my 98 T4. I told them it has a factory fit immobiliser and they were happy with that. The alarm currently fitted doesn't work so they have given me 30 days to fit a working one and I have to call them to let them know when its done. I may fit one of the combined alarm immobiliser set ups.

Apparently LV will not insure this vehicle without an alarm AND immobiliser fitted. Nothing is said about spec though.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
My insurance company LV rang me back today to confirm if an alarm and immobiliser are fitted to my 98 T4. I told them it has a factory fit immobiliser and they were happy with that. The alarm currently fitted doesn't work so they have given me 30 days to fit a working one and I have to call them to let them know when its done. I may fit one of the combined alarm immobiliser set ups.

Apparently LV will not insure this vehicle without an alarm AND immobiliser fitted. Nothing is said about spec though.
This is the most common response from insurance companies on vehicles of this age and value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts