VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Out there,

The revelations about the state of my brakes continues - as does the expense:eek:

I was wondering if anyone has got any recommendations or recently bought the backing plates (not sure if they are heat sheilds or splash shields for disc brakes for T$ both front and back.

The main stealer prices are a bit steep, i.e. £17.50 each for the rears :eek:and more reasonably about £10 for the fronts.I:

cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair do's - guess I was just being a bit tight!I: got them today along with discage and pads! long day spent wrestling with rusty bolts and stuff!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Andy - working through it. Rear offside bolts siezed, but should be able to deal with it.

John McDonald

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
nice squirt of 3 in 1
hope it works out

Had a simila prob with the old t 25 had to use a 4 ft extender bar on a 3/4 drive to shift bolts that had been on for 26 years

back plates has disolved and were not even attached to the axel
A free floating slave cylinder did not do much for the braking efficency

Andy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Andy,
3 out of 4 done, new pads, discs and backing plates, but the offside rear is proving a right bugger!
I've tried WD40, one of hte freeze / lube sprays, and an 18 inch breaker bar - unfortunately the (correct size) socket has burred both bolt heads I:. Think I'll ask a local garage to see if they can get the bolts off with some heat.

With the condition my brakes were in (only had the van since Oct last year), I'm amazed it passed its' MOT and was able to stop! Like your T25 - backling plates were in a right crumbly state.

Has to be done, Need it for a weeks ice climbing next week!T:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After all that work that I did myself, I still had to take my van to the garage to get the rear offside caliper and mount removed and replaced.Also while there I got them to replace the brake pipes, as they were MOT failure territory. Total Cost inc my own parts, £800 - OUcchhh:eek::eek:I:

At least I have basically a new set of brakes A: so should be OK for a while or two!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts