VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I guess I already know the answer, but being aware of the chemical interaction of dissimilar metals, I thought I'd ask to be certain.

If I use SS bolts, or fit a SS accessory to my van, especially in an area that gets wet etc, is there any risk of chemical action leading to corrosion? I am using SS as I think there is no risk with it, but am I correct ( before I buy some SS running boards)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your worried about it get some duralac or tef gel from a yacht chandlers.
That will remove any corrosion issues and also work as an anti seize making sure you can get them in done in the future

Col

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I am bolting down my RNR bed through the floor with SS bolts, washers, spreader plates and nuts etc.

But reading someone else's post about a set of SS side bars causing corrosion where the brackets bolted to the underside caused me to pause for thought.

I would like to take any measures possible to prevent corrosion, especially as I am rust free at present, so if using SS bolts helps, then I am happy to do it.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
if your looking at the same boards as i have the brackets are not stainless anyway , they are powdercoated so the stainless isnt in contact with your van anyway T:

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

In short the answer is yes! Any dissimilar metals held in close contact with each other, with a conductive lliquid liberally splashed regularly over them will react the fact that the metals are then asked to be used as an earth path only makes the situation worse.

As has been said any non setting joining paste will reduce the reaction titanine, duralec etc.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Hi,

In short the answer is yes! Any dissimilar metals held in close contact with each other, with a conductive lliquid liberally splashed regularly over them will react the fact that the metals are then asked to be used as an earth path only makes the situation worse.

As has been said any non setting joining paste will reduce the reaction titanine, duralec etc.

Cheers Trev.
well i for one have learned something new there,,, well done wind welder,,,,

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
when tightening up stainless fitting you should use stainless tools, if not if can cause the stainless to start rusting!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent info, thank you.

I have stainless bolts, washers and nuts, so with non setting paste I should be laughing. T:

·
Registered
694 Posts
The only problem with using SS bolts is that they`re not hi-tensile, so I would be wary about fitting them anywhere where they are subjected to high load. If it was my van i`d rather use 10.9 or 12.9 rated bolts to hold the seat down and cover everything underneath with a layer of seal sealer and under-seal. But to answer your original question, stainless wont react with other metals in damp conditions.

T:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have seen a bird avery made of stainless tube [we worked where it was made] & covered with galvanised chicken wire & it corroded very quickly, covering the tube with white chalky powder. I would use zinc plated bolts covered with some protective coating.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
if you put some clear lacquer or nail varnish on the parts it will help keep them weather proof and stop reacting with each other stainless does react with other metals as it still contains some iron but it no worse than normal metal rusting together, when doing up wind them slowly as the thread gets hot and it sort of welds together and can be a right pain to undo, i would avoid using stainless unless it was for an essential job.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
stainless bolts very unlikely to be hi tensile, ie not suitable for bolting seat down..
bolt heads should have a minimum 10.x stamping on the head..
stainless is quite a soft material and not suited for seat / seat belt fixings..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seat doesn't have seat belts and will not be used for passenger carrying. The bolts are mainly to stop it rattling, moving under braking or breaking free in a crash. As the unit isn't all that heavy, I guess the M10 bolts I am using should be more than adequate.

Or don't you agree?

·
Registered
43 Posts
stainless bolts very unlikely to be hi tensile, ie not suitable for bolting seat down..
bolt heads should have a minimum 10.x stamping on the head..
stainless is quite a soft material and not suited for seat / seat belt fixings..
A4 Stainless bolts are the equivellant to a 8.8 tensile strength. They are marine grade so very corrosion resistant but are as soft as sh#t. A2 SS bolts are the equivellant to 4.4, can surface rust and are even softer than A4.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
When using stainless bolts with stainless nuts, it's advisable to use copaslip to prevent them binding up solid....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts